Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Thousands of "SomeClass cannot be resolved to a type" errors after clean + rebuild
Thousands of "SomeClass cannot be resolved to a type" errors after clean + rebuild [message #1239360] Tue, 04 February 2014 02:27 Go to next message
Matt Schirle is currently offline Matt SchirleFriend
Hey guys. I'm having a strange problem with Eclipse, and I'm hoping somebody might know what's going wrong.

Every time I try to clean and rebuild all projects in my workspace (Project -> Clean... -> Clean all projects + Build the entire workspace immediately) I will end up with over 30 thousand bogus "SomeClass cannot be resolved to a type" errors in my Problems view. Shocked

Running "Build all" a few times after that gets rid of the errors in all but a few top (or close to top) level projects. At that point I can usually do a clean of only those projects and I'm back in business.

This is with a fairly large workspace. It's probably around 300-400 thousand lines of code across 15 projects. Unfortunately, I'm not authorized to share the code with anyone outside of my company.

These build errors only occur in Eclipse. Has anybody seen this problem before? Am I doing something wrong?
Re: Thousands of "SomeClass cannot be resolved to a type" errors after clean + rebuild [message #1239582 is a reply to message #1239360] Tue, 04 February 2014 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Do any of your projects share an output folder? If so, then you could have a clean scrubbing the output folder for a project that has been previously built in which case the .class file will no longer exist and won't be able to be resolved during the compile of a subsequent project build. You might want to experiment with the Scrub output folders when cleaning projects option in the Java->Compiler->Building Output section.
Re: Thousands of "SomeClass cannot be resolved to a type" errors after clean + rebuild [message #1239665 is a reply to message #1239582] Tue, 04 February 2014 18:43 Go to previous message
Matt Schirle is currently offline Matt SchirleFriend
There are no shared output folders. Turning off scrub output folder does prevent the problem. I'd like to keep it on if I can figure out what's giving me these errors, though.

The problem also seems to be somewhat sporadic. It was happening every time I did a full clean yesterday, but today it's only happened once. None of my settings have changed, and the code hasn't changed very significantly either. The only difference I can think is that turning off scrub output folder, doing a clean all + rebuild, then turning scrub output folder back on somehow fixed the problem?

It almost seems like some other process is interfering with the build, but I can't imagine what would. I have my virus scanner set to ignore my source and output folders.
Previous Topic:Instantiate a IVMInstall with same JRE as Eclipse is using?
Next Topic:plugin to export all open classes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:51:38 GMT 2024