Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? (Target Editor harmful to platform definition for Tycho bulids)
Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1237492] Wed, 29 January 2014 21:16 Go to next message
Ed Gow is currently offline Ed GowFriend
I have a set of plugins that I have been using as part of my target platform in a Tycho build for several years. To do this I turn it into a local p2 repo using the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher in my Eclipse installation, as required by Tycho. If I try to use the Eclipse Target Platform Editor to create the build.target file for my Tycho build then it fails to read the F&BP p2 repo and, adding injury to insult, deletes all of the <unit lines for that repo. Because p2 repos are basically unusable by anything except the eclipse update site tooling, this forces repeated breaking of the build.target file by that tooling every time any other site content is edited.

I've seen this same behavior on both Kepler and Indigo. I've checked that the artifacts.xml and content.xml in the p2 repo look OK. I've tried every command line switch setting that the F&BP tool offers. I posted the problem to the p2 forum here http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/637742/ and got zero replies over the course of two weeks.

I see this as a fairly severe problem for Eclipse RCP as a platform for serious applications. Good development practice dictates 1) using a defined target platform and 2) doing continuous integration and automated headless builds. At present, Tycho seems to be the only game in town for doing automated headless production builds of RCP applications. If the Eclipse tooling not only does not support defining target platforms for Tycho builds, but actually breaks them every time it touches them, then what is a serious development organization to think?

The e4 platform is an elegant and solid base for future application development. The only real reason to not use it is, IMHO, the extremely troublesome, sometimes non functional, build tooling. For the sake of the Eclipse platform, as well as for my selfish interest in getting my own build working, can someone please help me out with this.
Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1237738 is a reply to message #1237492] Thu, 30 January 2014 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 29/01/2014 22:16, Ed Gow wrote:
> I have a set of plugins that I have been using as part of my target
> platform in a Tycho build for several years. To do this I turn it into a
> local p2 repo using the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher in my Eclipse
> installation, as required by Tycho. If I try to use the Eclipse Target
> Platform Editor to create the build.target file for my Tycho build then
> it fails to read the F&BP p2 repo and, adding injury to insult, deletes
> all of the <unit lines for that repo. Because p2 repos are basically
> unusable by anything except the eclipse update site tooling, this forces
> repeated breaking of the build.target file by that tooling every time
> any other site content is edited.
>
> I've seen this same behavior on both Kepler and Indigo. I've checked
> that the artifacts.xml and content.xml in the p2 repo look OK. I've
> tried every command line switch setting that the F&BP tool offers. I
> posted the problem to the p2 forum here
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/637742/ and got zero replies
> over the course of two weeks.
> I see this as a fairly severe problem for Eclipse RCP as a platform for
> serious applications. Good development practice dictates 1) using a
> defined target platform and 2) doing continuous integration and
> automated headless builds. At present, Tycho seems to be the only game
> in town for doing automated headless production builds of RCP
> applications. If the Eclipse tooling not only does not support defining

I have experienced many problems with the Eclipse Target Platform editor
myself, and I stopped using it; if I really have to define a .target
file I almost always edit it by hand, and then load it form the Target
preference page. With that respect, can you load such target from the
Target preference page (i.e., not using the target definition editor)?

Just a small addition, I've been using for some years the "other game in
town" for headless builds: Buckminster, and I'm still using it for every
Eclipse project (and RCP product) I develop, without problems.

Hope this helps
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1237841 is a reply to message #1237738] Thu, 30 January 2014 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info. I will have to take a look at Buckminster to see if it's easier to deal with for us than Tycho. I hope I can find a more tractable build option for my RCP product. As far as I can tell, the b3 project is completely moribund. There is an effort to apply Gradle to PDE builds, but the last time I checked it didn't seem ready for prime time. The build has been the most difficult part of using the Eclipse platform. Apart from that, Eclipse has been quite nice for us, and e4 looks like it will make it even nicer by a large margin.
Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1237845 is a reply to message #1237738] Thu, 30 January 2014 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"can you load such target from the Target preference page (i.e., not using the target definition editor)?"

I tried loading a hand-edited version of the target platform that points to my F&BP p2 repo. It appears not to load the plugins from that repo. So the answer to your very good question seems to be no. It appears that F&BP repos are simply not usable with the Eclipse IDE.

If I can assure myself that this is not due to some error on my part then I'll file a bug on it. Since it's really only critical when using Tycho, I'm not sure how much attention the bug will get.
Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1238056 is a reply to message #1237841] Fri, 31 January 2014 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 30/01/2014 19:56, Ed Gow wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I will have to take a look at Buckminster to see if
> it's easier to deal with for us than Tycho. I hope I can find a more
> tractable build option for my RCP product. As far as I can tell, the b3
> project is completely moribund. There is an effort to apply Gradle to
> PDE builds, but the last time I checked it didn't seem ready for prime
> time. The build has been the most difficult part of using the Eclipse
> platform. Apart from that, Eclipse has been quite nice for us, and e4
> looks like it will make it even nicer by a large margin.

As far as I know b3 is not moribund...

--
Xtext Book:
http://www.packtpub.com/implementing-domain-specific-languages-with-xtext-and-xtend/book

Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1239232 is a reply to message #1238056] Mon, 03 February 2014 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The last b3 code commit seems to have been in Nov. 2011.
Re: Why can't Eclipse Target Editor read local p2 repo? [message #1240144 is a reply to message #1239232] Wed, 05 February 2014 20:14 Go to previous message
On 03/02/2014 19:01, Ed Gow wrote:
> The last b3 code commit seems to have been in Nov. 2011.

I don't know where you looked, but this
http://git.eclipse.org/c/b3/b3.git/ says something different :)

--
Xtext Book:

Previous Topic:How to receive NullSelection events for at table when it gets programmatically emptied?
Next Topic:Custome CompilationUnitEditor hide "Run As vs..." menu Action
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:22:56 GMT 2024