Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMFStore] server scalability
[EMFStore] server scalability [message #1228354] Tue, 07 January 2014 02:42 Go to next message
Scott Dybiec is currently offline Scott DybiecFriend
Messages: 148
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Can the EMFStore repository scale to manage 1000's of models? In my
situation the average serialized model size is about 1MB, and only 100
or so would be active at any one time, while the rest are semi-archived
and only accessed infrequently.

I noticed that the EMFStore server startup time slows down significantly
as I add multiple large models to the repository making me wonder about
whether it was designed to handle a large number of models.

Scott
Re: [EMFStore] server scalability [message #1229415 is a reply to message #1228354] Thu, 09 January 2014 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Scott,

sorry for the delay, I just came back from holidays.
Every accessed project is loaded into memory, so scalability is
definitely limited in the size of the biggest project in memory in
comparison to the available memory. The number of projects should not
matter. If validation is enabled (default) however, all models are
validated at startup to ensure their consistency (e.g. with the current
Ecores).
If you disable startup validation (change emfstore.validation to false
in es.properties) the delay should disappear.
Please let me know how this works out for you.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 07.01.2014 03:42, schrieb scott@xxxxxxxx:
> Can the EMFStore repository scale to manage 1000's of models? In my
> situation the average serialized model size is about 1MB, and only 100
> or so would be active at any one time, while the rest are semi-archived
> and only accessed infrequently.
>
> I noticed that the EMFStore server startup time slows down significantly
> as I add multiple large models to the repository making me wonder about
> whether it was designed to handle a large number of models.
>
> Scott


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get Professional Eclipse Support: http://eclipsesource.com/munich
Re: [EMFStore] server scalability [message #1229462 is a reply to message #1229415] Thu, 09 January 2014 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Dybiec is currently offline Scott DybiecFriend
Messages: 148
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Maximilian,

You wrote: "Every accessed project is loaded into memory, so scalability
is definitely limited in the size of the biggest project in memory in
comparison to the available memory."

I'm less worried about the size of one project, more about the aggregate
size of multiple loaded projects.

Is there a process by which resources are unloaded from memory by some
LRU scheme or does the amount of memory consumed only increase as
projects are accessed?

Scott


On 1/9/2014 6:48 AM, Maximilian Koegel wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> sorry for the delay, I just came back from holidays.
> Every accessed project is loaded into memory, so scalability is
> definitely limited in the size of the biggest project in memory in
> comparison to the available memory. The number of projects should not
> matter. If validation is enabled (default) however, all models are
> validated at startup to ensure their consistency (e.g. with the current
> Ecores).
> If you disable startup validation (change emfstore.validation to false
> in es.properties) the delay should disappear.
> Please let me know how this works out for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Maximilian
>
> Am 07.01.2014 03:42, schrieb scott@xxxxxxxx:
>> Can the EMFStore repository scale to manage 1000's of models? In my
>> situation the average serialized model size is about 1MB, and only 100
>> or so would be active at any one time, while the rest are semi-archived
>> and only accessed infrequently.
>>
>> I noticed that the EMFStore server startup time slows down significantly
>> as I add multiple large models to the repository making me wonder about
>> whether it was designed to handle a large number of models.
>>
>> Scott
>
>
Re: [EMFStore] server scalability [message #1230973 is a reply to message #1229462] Mon, 13 January 2014 13:46 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Scott,

any project´s content (in any version) and any changes (of any version)
are objects linked to the data structure in memory by soft references.
They will get garbage collected if memory is needed as required by the
garbage collector.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 09.01.2014 14:46, schrieb Scott Dybiec:
> Maximilian,
>
> You wrote: "Every accessed project is loaded into memory, so scalability
> is definitely limited in the size of the biggest project in memory in
> comparison to the available memory."
>
> I'm less worried about the size of one project, more about the aggregate
> size of multiple loaded projects.
>
> Is there a process by which resources are unloaded from memory by some
> LRU scheme or does the amount of memory consumed only increase as
> projects are accessed?
>
> Scott
>
>
> On 1/9/2014 6:48 AM, Maximilian Koegel wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> sorry for the delay, I just came back from holidays.
>> Every accessed project is loaded into memory, so scalability is
>> definitely limited in the size of the biggest project in memory in
>> comparison to the available memory. The number of projects should not
>> matter. If validation is enabled (default) however, all models are
>> validated at startup to ensure their consistency (e.g. with the current
>> Ecores).
>> If you disable startup validation (change emfstore.validation to false
>> in es.properties) the delay should disappear.
>> Please let me know how this works out for you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Maximilian
>>
>> Am 07.01.2014 03:42, schrieb scott@xxxxxxxx:
>>> Can the EMFStore repository scale to manage 1000's of models? In my
>>> situation the average serialized model size is about 1MB, and only 100
>>> or so would be active at any one time, while the rest are semi-archived
>>> and only accessed infrequently.
>>>
>>> I noticed that the EMFStore server startup time slows down significantly
>>> as I add multiple large models to the repository making me wonder about
>>> whether it was designed to handle a large number of models.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>>
>


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get Professional Eclipse Support: http://eclipsesource.com/munich
Previous Topic:[EMF Client Platform] create standalone product
Next Topic:[CDO][Xcore] Can't create resource on the base of Xcore defined model
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Mar 06 03:34:05 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01868 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top