Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Trying to get scout-rt and scout-sdk to build...(... and failing miserably :-()
Trying to get scout-rt and scout-sdk to build... [message #1221380] Tue, 17 December 2013 15:11 Go to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
In preparation for some patch contributions I am following the guide under http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Contributions_for_Scout_Committers.

Sadly, I am failing miserably to get either scout-rt or scout-sdk to compile.

I have taken the following steps:

• Bugzilla account: check
  • CLA: signed
  • Eclipse installation with egit and mylyn: Eclipse Kepler 4.3 installed
  • endorsed java mail: downloaded the two files and copied to <my sdk>\jre\lib\endorsed
  • tools.jar: added to my standard sdk
  • jre: I only have JavaSE-1.7 installed
    --> do I need to download and install JavaSE-1.6 as well, or is just 1.7 enough?
  • SSH Key: generated, uploaded to git.eclipse.org & stored locally
  • GIT settings: configured
  • Getting the sources:
    --> this did not work from behind our work firewall (which does SSL interception (man-in-the-middle), which breaks the certificate based authentication, I guess)
    --> instead, I downloaded the sources for both scout-sdk and scout-rt at home, where I have a direct internet connection
  • setting the target: eclipse-3.6.target could not be resolved, instead I used the eclipse-3.9.target (which succesfully resolved), I set this as target for scout-rt (I couldn't find a target file for scout-sdk)

So I believe I have followed all the steps in the installation process. However, the project did not compile. I tried doing Maven->Update Configuration on all maven projects, but that did not make a lot of difference.

Problems with scout-rt
I have 742 errors and 118 warnings on scout-rt, the first 100 errors can be tracked down to imports not working
- import javax.jms cannot be resolved
- import javax.mail cannot be resolved
- import com.sun.tools cannot be resolved
I assume that somehow the steps I took above (adding tools.jar to the JDK and adding the two libraries to the jre/lib/endorsed directory) did not work...
--> does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Also, there seems to be a problem with Maven, every pom reports the following error:

Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM for org.eclipse.scout:org.eclipse.scout.rt:3.10.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find org.eclipse.scout:org.eclipse.scout.parent:pom:3.10.0-SNAPSHOT in http://repo.<ourcompany>.<domain>/content/groups/mirror was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of central has elapsed or updates are forced and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM pom.xml /org.eclipse.scout.net.test line 1 Maven pom Loading Problem

repo.<ourdomain>.<domain> is the same mirror that we use to build our projects, I've tried removing this repo from our .m2 settings file, but then the whole thing already fails when trying to retrieve maven plugins.
--> I have no clue on how to proceed here...

Also, every time I open a source file I get an error about the project being associated sonar server which makes working really awkward.

Problems with scout-sdk
--> here I mostly seem to have the maven problems mentioned above

I'd appreciate any hints on how to get this working...
Re: Trying to get scout-rt and scout-sdk to build... [message #1221765 is a reply to message #1221380] Wed, 18 December 2013 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update

I've managed to solve the import problems in the scout-rt workspace. It seems it is not enough to add the two jars to the endorsed directory, they also need to be added to the JRE. I've updated the instructions on the wiki to make this clearer. Now, I mostly have the maven problems and am looking into those at the moment.
Re: Trying to get scout-rt and scout-sdk to build... [message #1221905 is a reply to message #1221380] Wed, 18 December 2013 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Lee is currently offline Ken LeeFriend
Urs Beeli wrote on Tue, 17 December 2013 10:11

• jre: I only have JavaSE-1.7 installed
    --> do I need to download and install JavaSE-1.6 as well, or is just 1.7 enough?
    => no, that's not necessary. Scout will compile against Java 1.6 and/or Java 1.7
  • Getting the sources:
    --> this did not work from behind our work firewall (which does SSL interception (man-in-the-middle), which breaks the certificate based authentication, I guess)
    --> instead, I downloaded the sources for both scout-sdk and scout-rt at home, where I have a direct internet connection
    => I strongly believe that this is a connection problem caused by your company firewall. I guess that you should open the connection to git.eclipse.org for the git and ssh protocols.
  • setting the target: eclipse-3.6.target could not be resolved, instead I used the eclipse-3.9.target (which succesfully resolved), I set this as target for scout-rt (I couldn't find a target file for scout-sdk)
    => I assume that you have checked out the "develop" branch which is the branch for Scout 3.10 Luna. Please have a look at the Scout Eclipse platform support. In short, Scout RT is compatible with Eclipse 3.6 (Helios), 3.7 (Indigo), 3.8 (Juno) and 4.4 (Luna; recommended) whereas SDK is compatible with 3.7 (Indigo), 3.8 (Juno), 4.2 (Juno), 4.3 (Kepler) and 4.4 (Luna; recommended).
    I think that the eclipse-3.6.target cannot be resolved due to your Maven settings problem explained below.

Quote:

So I believe I have followed all the steps in the installation process. However, the project did not compile. I tried doing Maven->Update Configuration on all maven projects, but that did not make a lot of difference.

Please ensure that the endorsed libs are also added into the JRE settings in your Eclipse IDE (Preferences -> JRE).

Quote:

Also, there seems to be a problem with Maven, every pom reports the following error:

Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM for org.eclipse.scout:org.eclipse.scout.rt:3.10.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find org.eclipse.scout:org.eclipse.scout.parent:pom:3.10.0-SNAPSHOT in http://repo.<ourcompany>.<domain>/content/groups/mirror was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of central has elapsed or updates are forced and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM pom.xml /org.eclipse.scout.net.test line 1 Maven pom Loading Problem

repo.<ourdomain>.<domain> is the same mirror that we use to build our projects, I've tried removing this repo from our .m2 settings file, but then the whole thing already fails when trying to retrieve maven plugins.
--> I have no clue on how to proceed here...

Please have a look at your settings.xml file in your .m2 folder. The problem might be that you delegate all defined repositories to your internal mirror. Your settings.xml file may contain an entry like this:

<mirrors>
  <mirror>
    <id>internal.mirror</id>
    <name>internal mirror</name>
    <url>http://repo.yourcompany.url/content/groups/mirror</url>
    <mirrorOf>*,!anExcludedRepo</mirrorOf>
  </mirror>
</mirrors>

Having an entry like this all artifacts defined in any repositories except for the one with the ID "anExcludedRepo" will be looked up in your mirror.
If you look inside the pom.xml at root level of your Scout RT Git repo, you'll find a two repo definitions for "eclipse.release" and "eclipse.snapshot" referring to
https://repo.eclipse.org/content/groups/releases/ and https://repo.eclipse.org/content/groups/snapshots/ respectively.
Because of your <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf> declaration, all artifacts from the eclipse.release or eclipse.snapshot repos will be looked up in your mirror.
If your mirror doesn't contain those artifacts, you will end up in a unresolvable target definition.

Solution:
Either add

<mirrorOf>*,!anExcludedRepo,!eclipse.release,!eclipse.snapshot</mirrorOf>

to your settings.xml or mirror the artifacts from the Eclipse repo.

Regarding your problem about the unresolvable eclipse-3.6.target: I assume that your mirror does only contain Kepler artifacts (Scout 3.9). That's why the target file eclipse-3.9.target is resolvable whereas the others are not.

Quote:

Problems with scout-sdk
--> here I mostly seem to have the maven problems mentioned above

Must be related to your repo mirror problem.

Cheers,

Ken
Re: Trying to get scout-rt and scout-sdk to build... [message #1229374 is a reply to message #1221905] Thu, 09 January 2014 10:06 Go to previous message
Update

Excluding the eclipse repos from our mirror did not work, as maven cannot get out through our company proxy. Instead I've had our service group add the following repositories to the mirror/proxy of our company repo:
https://repo.eclipse.org/content/groups/releases/
https://repo.eclipse.org/content/groups/snapshots/
https://repo.eclipse.org/content/groups/mirror/org/eclipse/jdt/org.eclipse.jdt.core

After updating the maven projects I now have an error free build of the scout-rt project. I still have some trouble with the scout-sdk project but am working on that.

I still cannot connect to the git repository from behind our company firewall (even though the proxy settings have been defined), it seems that our proxy does SSL interception (in order to run all traffic through the virus scanner) and somehow has trouble handling the certificate/SSH Key based authentication. I'm in touch with our IT security department on solving this issue.
Previous Topic:execChangedValue not firing if an invalid value is reverted back to the previous value
Next Topic:Usage statistics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:53:24 GMT 2024