Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » PDT installed but not working
PDT installed but not working [message #1200186] Thu, 21 November 2013 05:50 Go to next message
Jake Moe is currently offline Jake MoeFriend
Hi all,

I've downloaded and installed Eclipse Kepler on Windows 7, and from Install New Software, I installed PDT. It tells me that it's installed (the icon has changed in Install New Software, and in Installation Details --> Installed Software, it's there as well). However, when I go in to Preferences, there is no PHP section. When I go to create a new project, there is no PHP option. If I open an existing PHP file, there is no syntax colouring.

I've Googled around for a solution, but have been unable to find it on my own. The closest I've come is another post on here that sounds the same, but from Juno, not Kepler, and it only had a few answers, and appears to have never been solved.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get PDT working? The rest of the Eclipse install seems fine: I can create and run Java apps, and I've added and installed the Android Development Kit, and it works fine as well. Just PDT seems to be broken.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1212695 is a reply to message #1200186] Wed, 27 November 2013 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Boyce is currently offline Mark BoyceFriend
I have exactly the same issue as Jake
However my environment is Linux Centos 6 with Eclipse Juno.

I too have installed the PDT SDK with a view to devloping and debugging PHP and do not see any references to it in the file->New Project, windows->Open Perspective etc.
There is reference to it in the help system but no clues to setting it up are in there.

I have performed a Check for updates and many restarts to no Avail.

• Eclipse: Version: 4.2.2 Build id: M20130204-1200

• PHP repo: Eclipse Juno repository @ http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno
  • repo name: Web, XML, Java EE and OSGi Enterprise Development
  • sub item: PHP Development Tools (PDT) SDK Feature V3.1.1.291209101312

• Operating System: Centos Release 6.4 (Final)
  • Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-358.23.2.el6.i686
  • Windows: Gnome 2.28.2

Help would be greatly apreciated.
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1219643 is a reply to message #1212695] Thu, 05 December 2013 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I've rebuilt my laptop (the old hard drive was starting to make clicking noises that indicate imminent doom), and reinstalled Eclipse, and the problem re-occurs. Sad

Irritatingly, my Linux install works fine. However, I'm looking to do PHP development at work, which is a Windows shop, so I need it to work on Windows.

Can anyone even give me a clue as to where to begin looking for a solution? I'm not even sure where I can find a startup log that might show me an error or warning, or some indication of what file holds the list of plugins to be loaded. I don't mind doing the work, but I need to know where to go to do it. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1219743 is a reply to message #1200186] Thu, 05 December 2013 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Calamity Jane is currently offline Calamity JaneFriend
Same problem here.

Changed from Juno to Kepler because Juno became highly unstable after my OS upgrade.

Now I am using:
kubuntu 13.10 x64
Oracle Java 1.7.45
Eclipse Kepler.

PDT installed, no PHPperspective, etc...

Calamity Jane
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1220032 is a reply to message #1219743] Mon, 09 December 2013 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Calamity Jane is currently offline Calamity JaneFriend
What I already tried without any effect:

- deleted the metadata in the workspace.
- uninstalled and reinstalled PDT (using the h2 variant)

I am using now PHP Storn and I just hope that befor ethe 30 day tryout ends somebody knows what else I can try to get Eclipse working for PHP.

CalamityJane
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1244239 is a reply to message #1220032] Wed, 12 February 2014 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've finally managed to get this working on the Windows 7 machines I was having this trouble with, but it didn't work on the Windows 8.1 machine. In case it helps, I did two things:

1. I went into Help --> About Eclipse --> Installation Details, selected PHP Development Tools (PDT), uninstalled it, and restarted Eclipse. I then installed "Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Core Frameworks", "Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Core H2 Index Frameworks", and "PHP Development Tools (PDT)" one at a time, restarting Eclipse after installing each one.
  2. I went into the eclipse.ini in my installation folder, and changed the two bottom values to -Xms1024m and -Xmx1024m

However, when I did both of these on the Win 8.1 box, it didn't work. :-/ Maybe it was just the uninstall and reinstall decided to allow it to work this time?
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1245800 is a reply to message #1244239] Fri, 14 February 2014 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
How did you install eclipse?

How about
PHP Development Tools (PDT) - Downloads -> All-In-One Update Site
or
Eclipse for PHP Developers (all in one package though it is a milestone(alpha version) for the next release for now)

I've never experienced such a problem and I cannot reproduce it on Windows XP/7(64)/8.1(64) in any way.(but in my own environment/circumstances)
Any plugins must be downloaded/registered(when installing plugins), must be loaded/activated(when starting eclipse). You could investigate downloaded plugins in your folder, registered/loaded/activated them in Help->About->Installation Details->Configuration, something in workspace/.metadata/.log, though I don't think these investigations will help you.

BTW, it is unlikely but setting eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info read-only is the only case I could reproduce the problem. In this case, downloading finished successfully and I was prompted to restart. However, after restarting, there is no PDT except in Installation Details->Installed Software.(I believe it is merely a last entry of Installation History and it doesn't reflect the real state.) Such a case cannot come out usually though...

Good luck.
Re: PDT installed but not working [message #1694771 is a reply to message #1200186] Thu, 07 May 2015 17:38 Go to previous message
Jarrod Cook is currently offline Jarrod CookFriend
Jake Moe,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your solution! It worked for my Windows 7 machine as well : ).

Thanks,
Jarrod
Previous Topic:Set up Eclipse project with local copy of Windows mapped drive folder
Next Topic:Running PHP projects in Eclipse Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:12:07 GMT 2024