Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Customizing binary files(How can I customize the content of the binary files in my repo?)
Customizing binary files [message #1183274] Tue, 12 November 2013 19:12 Go to next message
Tobias Bertelsen is currently offline Tobias BertelsenFriend
Hi All.

We need to modify the content of the binary files when we create our repo.

Our current solution is rather horrible: We unpack the binary files after the repository has been build, overwrites some of the files, and repack it. I am therefore looking for better ways of doing it.

The overall question is therefore: Q0: What is the best way to change the binary files and add additional binary files to a product?

I do however have a few sub questions, which are less open ended and might be easier to answer. The process that creates the binary files are not obvious to me, and I have stumbled upon some things I don't understand. I can't find any documentation to answer this.
Q1: Is there any documentation around how these binary files are created.

We have are in the transition from PDE build to Buckminster (which uses Eclipse to export p2 repositories). Our PDE build produces binary files with names like osgi.id.product_root.ws.os.arch_version, whereas Buckminster/Eclipse produces files with name like osgi.id.product.executable.ws.os.arch_version.
Q2: What is the difference between the "..executable.." and "..product_root.." files, and why is there two different types?

The content of the binary files seems to primarily come at least from the executable feature org.eclipse.equinox.executable, but also includes e.g. the icons specified in the .product file.
Q3: What contributes to the content apart from the executable feature , e.g. which properties in ".product" definition or elsewhere
Q4: The files in the executable feature are renamed. Are they modified in any other way?

Some additional info:

Our PDE build are building platform and product specific repositories, while our Buckminster build produces one repository with multiple products for all platforms. This are some examples of what we do:

• Set correct version info in the exe-file (windows)
  • Add additional files to e.g. the root (and Contents/Ressource on mac)
  • Overwrite info.plist (mac) and eclipse.ini, with version including e.g. build information
  • Replaces the executable files
  • Fixes end-of-line in some share files.

Hope you are able to answer some or all of my question. I am also very open to alternative suggestions for solutions Smile

Best
Tobias
Re: Customizing binary files [message #1196517 is a reply to message #1183274] Tue, 19 November 2013 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias Bertelsen is currently offline Tobias BertelsenFriend
Bump.
Re: Customizing binary files [message #1784457 is a reply to message #1196517] Wed, 28 March 2018 08:11 Go to previous message
Faiz Khan is currently offline Faiz KhanFriend
1. Create a feature plugin.
2. Add the files to a folder inside feature plugin.. suppose all suporting files to a folder call --> files
now in build.properties of same feature plugin add --> root = files

Now add this feature to the product..

Now once you build the application then the repository binary will have the data..
Previous Topic:P2 director and update sites used for provisioning
Next Topic:Eclipse RCP - Dependent plugins deployed as directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:43:46 GMT 2024