Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter(birt pass paramter to procedure with output parameter)
Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1175294] Thu, 07 November 2013 17:02 Go to next message
andy Moses is currently offline andy MosesFriend
Hi,

I have a question but could not find the answer after searching on the internet. Really appreciate if anyone has some quick idea.

My question is that I have a Oracle procedure with two parameters in procedure used by a birt report design file.

One parameter is input, the other is output which is the resultset returned by the procedure (using output parameter is the only way Oracle procedure to return the resultset).

In the java code where the report engine runs, it seems there were errors (listed below) when I set the parameters for the procedures and ran the task. I tried to set the parater individually using setParameterValue(), and setParameterValues(hashMap), both gave me same errors.

It seems somehow birt IRunAndRenderTask didn't recognize the output parameter for the procedure.

When I did preview in Birt report designer, and input an paramter, I was able to view the returned result on report successfully. The error happened in integration java code.

code:

IRunAndRenderTask task = engine.createRunAndRenderTask(runnable);

//1st try set parameter individually
task.setParameterValue("EMPLYEE_ID", "1918");
task.setParameterValue("PRC", ""); // There's same error no matter I set the second parameter or not
task.run();

// 2nd try try, below code gave the same error when I used a hashmap

HashMap parms = new HashMap();
parms.put("EMPLYEE_ID","1918");
task.setParameterValues(parms);

//Error displayed

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
PLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to 'GET_EMPLOYEE'
ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
PL/SQL: Statement ignored

at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.CallStatement.executeQuery(CallStatement.java:458)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.CallStatement.execute(CallStatement.java:605)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaAdvancedQuery.doExecute(OdaAdvancedQuery.java:123)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaAdvancedQuery.execute(OdaAdvancedQuery.java:82)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.PreparedStatement.execute(PreparedStatement.java:570)
... 55 more

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE GET_EMPLOYEE
(
EM_ID IN VARCHAR2,
prc out sys_refcursor
) AS
BEGIN
open prc for
select *
from COMPANY
where EMPLOYEE_ID = to_number(EM_ID);
END GET_EMPLOYEE;

Environment:

birt-runtime-4_3_1

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176531 is a reply to message #1175294] Fri, 08 November 2013 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
I don't believe BIRT can handle a such type "sys_refcursor" output parameter.

It might depends on which DBMS is used, but in this case for example with MySQL we don't have to use an output parameter here: the resultset of the query within a stored procedure is automatically returned to the BIRT dataset.

Hope this helps
Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176643 is a reply to message #1176531] Fri, 08 November 2013 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, donino.

I am using Oracle. Birt support sql query with procedure, but the only way oracle to return a resultset is through a output parameter. Birt does not support function (which could return a resultset) to be used for query type of "procedure".

It sounds like this is a limitation of Birt, since it listed procedure listed as a query type, but the engine API does not support setting parameter for a main database like Oracle. I hope Birt team could consider to handle this case if birt does not support this scenario.

The reason the plain sql query was not used because I saw other strange error or behavior when I put the sql with paramter in the query. The sql has multiple extractvalue function statements which extract value from xml type column. The report designer had no response when I tried to click "Ok" button so there's sth wrong when this sql is used in Birt. The same sql had no problem is executed against oracle directly. And iff there are only a couple of those statement, the Ok button worked. So I made the conclusion that Birt can not handle that sql for some reason.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 13:26]

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176740 is a reply to message #1176643] Fri, 08 November 2013 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As suggested by this topic it should work with Oracle, did you follow all comments? Some of them are very precise and coud help to solve the problem. Unfortunately i do not have Oracle installed so i can't do a test Sad
Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176766 is a reply to message #1176740] Fri, 08 November 2013 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, donino. The birt report with procedure did worked from the beginning in the report designer GUI.
The problem I was describing was in the integration of it with Java code.

The java code use engine API to run the report design file and try to set parameter, but error occurred complaining the number of parameters passed not right. Maybe the engine API does not know how to handle the situation of setting parameter to procedure with output parameter.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 14:41]

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176854 is a reply to message #1176766] Fri, 08 November 2013 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooops, ok i see. Firstly we can be sure this line is not necessary:
task.setParameterValue("PRC", "");

Of course i have not seen the .rptdesign, but i guess PRC is a dataset parameter, not a report parameter so it is not relevant to use setParameterValue here.

Furthermore, are you 100% sure this error is really due to the output parameter? as you set the employee_id parameter, it should be declared as a String in the report design. It's easy to make a mistake with different places where we have to declare the datatype (in report parameter, dataset parameter, stored procedure, database schema...). You should do a test without any parameter, except the output param to be sure.

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1176939 is a reply to message #1176854] Fri, 08 November 2013 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even without the second setParameterValue, I got the same error, as the comment mentioned for this code line.
task.setParameterValue("PRC", "")

Right, PRC is a dataset parameter. Thanks donino.
Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1181277 is a reply to message #1176939] Mon, 11 November 2013 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently it seems to me Birt Engine API does not yet support the oracle procedure which return an output parameter indicating the resultset. It seems I have to find other ways to get around my original blocker.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/BIRT/FAQ/Data_Access#Q:_How_can_I_use_a_data_set_parameter_with_an_SQL_query.3F

Q: How do I use a stored procedure?

The JDBC ODA plugin included in BIRT currently supports SQL SELECT queries and simple stored procedure queries. That is, those that 1) use scalar input parameters only or no parameters, and 2) retrieve a single result set directly, like those in SQL Server or Sybase (instead of via a cursor output parameter like those in Oracle).

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 13:56]

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1181438 is a reply to message #1181277] Mon, 11 November 2013 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Currently it seems to me Birt Engine API does not yet support the oracle procedure which return an output parameter indicating the resultset.

We can't be sure: as you mentionned it works in Eclipse designer, which makes use of the BIRT engine java API too. Any chance you post the .rptdesign file, after removing confidential informations? Did you consider using a stored function instead of a procedure?
Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1181465 is a reply to message #1181438] Mon, 11 November 2013 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino, I will consider to upload my rpt design file later when I get chance.

About function, yes, I tried.

First, Birt does not allow me to run oracle functions which return resultset like calling a procedure for data set with type of store procedure.

So I have to create data set of normal query type. Even I created a function which returns a sys_refcursor (which is a pointer to a compiled sql), the oracle can only run the function inside a select statement querying from a dummy table "dual" like below:

select getresult(?) from dual

The returned resulset of above sql has only one column, instead of multiple columns defined in the select statement in the function. I didn't find out how birt or sql parse out the resultset returned by the function., since I got an "Cannot get the result set metadata" error org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.OdaDataException.

Then what I did is to define the function to return only value which is a comma delimited string. Then in Birt, I split and parse out the values from the result and create multiple calculated columns.

This is not straightforward, but could be an sub-optimal option for me.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 November 2013 16:29]

Re: Error setting parameter to procedures with output parameter [message #1231493 is a reply to message #1181465] Tue, 14 January 2014 20:30 Go to previous message
donino, finally I found out you were right. it's my fault that caused the procedure call not working.

The parameter name for birt "Report Parameters", and parameter name for Data Set's "parameters" confused me.
The java code need to use "Report Parameters"'s parameter name to pass parameter value, not the name defined in "parameters" in Data Set for procedure parameter name.

This issue was found soon after my last message above. Now I am just update this post in case other new birt users had similar confusion.
Previous Topic:2.5 to 4.3 upgrade
Next Topic:Migrating old style ('@') parameters to ? style
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:28:31 GMT 2024