Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Dealing with a growing test library and new product versions(Is it time to refactor? How do I continue to test my previous product series.)
Dealing with a growing test library and new product versions [message #1165762] Fri, 01 November 2013 14:25
Youssef Bagoulla is currently offline Youssef BagoullaFriend
I believe I have two issues I'd like advice on. Our test project has grown rather large and will continue to grow. I'd like to know if it's optimally organized to deal with further growth. I'd also like advice on how to support testing of multiple versions of our application.

A little background; our application is an IDE based off of Eclipse. We've got custom views, editors, etc. We've been using Jubula for the past year in Jenkins to test functionality as well as to confirm and perform regression tests on any reported bug.

Our test cases are divided up by multi-layered folders (Categories) in one large Jubula Test Project. Basic Interactions, Editor Interaction, View Interactions etc. are the top categories which each have many child folders.

I briefly considered refactoring our categories into Test Projects of their own which which would reuse Projects such as "Basic Interactions" and any other dependent categories but I realized I would have to remap all the components which there are over 500. I also did not really understand what benefit I would receive by breaking the categories out into their own project since they are specific to our product.

Are folders/categories the best way to organize? Or is there a better method for large applications?

Currently our product in test is v1.9.0 and we would like to continue using Jubula to test the latest in our 1.9 series (1.9.0-1.9.x). In parallel we are developing v1.10.0 and would like to test this as well. Eventually, different actions may be required for v1.10 than v1.9 so I've started playing with Jubula's versioning feature however the problem I find is that if we decide to version our Test Project to v1.9 and v1.10 and I add a test case to v1.9 that also is needed in v1.10 I'm not sure how to share, or port it over to the v1.10 project (and vice versa).

What's the best workflow to deal with this sort of product? I know that the Jubula team uses Jubula to test their own product. How is their workflow structured?

Thank you!

~ Youssef
Previous Topic:Building Jubula and documentation
Next Topic:Test RCP AUT with Luna target platform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:35:06 GMT 2024