Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » slow and 100% cpu
slow and 100% cpu [message #16894] Mon, 15 October 2007 15:30 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: gruscoe.sigmavisions.com

I have a ruby project with more than 70 integrated files (one script
requiring another script requiring another, etc). When I make a small
change in the editor the cpu spikes to 100% and it takes several seconds
to recover. I really like the Ruby extension and so I'm really bummed
to report that this makes the extension unusable for me. I could not
find a bug report on this or anything on the mailing list. I thought
I'd post here before thinking of a bug report.

Eclipse 3.3 on Linux, with DLTK 9.0 and 9.1. I believe I tried this
with the native ruby and with JRuby with similar performance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Geoff
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #16925 is a reply to message #16894] Tue, 16 October 2007 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrei Sobolev is currently offline Andrei SobolevFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Geoff,

We also found such problem for big tcl projects.

We are working on it.
For now I've made some changes in 1.0 version, which improve performance.
I will send message then new version with fixes will be available for
download. I suppose it will be today.

Thanks, Andrei.

> I have a ruby project with more than 70 integrated files (one script
> requiring another script requiring another, etc). When I make a small
> change in the editor the cpu spikes to 100% and it takes several seconds
> to recover. I really like the Ruby extension and so I'm really bummed
> to report that this makes the extension unusable for me. I could not
> find a bug report on this or anything on the mailing list. I thought
> I'd post here before thinking of a bug report.
>
> Eclipse 3.3 on Linux, with DLTK 9.0 and 9.1. I believe I tried this
> with the native ruby and with JRuby with similar performance.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff
>
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #16953 is a reply to message #16925] Wed, 17 October 2007 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrei Sobolev is currently offline Andrei SobolevFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Geoff,

We provided new build of DLTK 1.0. You could obtain it from Eclipse DLTK
Download area at Eclipse. Direct
link( http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/downloads/drops/ R1.0/I-I200710161345-200710161345/)

Please could you test it on your project, it should help with
performance problems.

Thanks, Andrei.
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #16982 is a reply to message #16953] Wed, 17 October 2007 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: gruscoe.sigmavisions.com

Andrei Sobolev wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> We provided new build of DLTK 1.0. You could obtain it from Eclipse DLTK
> Download area at Eclipse. Direct
> link( http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/downloads/drops/ R1.0/I-I200710161345-200710161345/)
>
> Please could you test it on your project, it should help with
> performance problems.
>
> Thanks, Andrei.

Would these fixes be available from an eclipse update site?

For instance, I saw integration builds at:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates-dev/0.9/

I have already downloaded the package from the link you sent. I was
getting ready to install it when I came across that info.

Thanks,
Geoff
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #17011 is a reply to message #16982] Wed, 17 October 2007 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: gruscoe.sigmavisions.com

Uninstalled previous versions, and then unzipped the all in one bundle.

Eclipse did not work right and the Manage Configuration showed no
entries. The Find and install didn't show my entries either. I had to
revert to the backup I had made.

Not sure if I should have done something different or not. I figured
that was how I should install the Integration zip, but no love...

-Geoff
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #17039 is a reply to message #17011] Wed, 17 October 2007 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jwiebe1.comcast.net

I was able to install the binaries by unzipping them into the
appropriate eclipse folders, however, I wasn't able to install the
SDK's because of dependencies problems.

These are some of the dependencies problems I had with this SDK, it
appears this zip file only included the older files from a previous build.

http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/downloads/drops/ R1.0/I-I200710161345-200710161345/dltk-sdk-I-I200710161345-2 00710161345-incubation.zip

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.core" version "1.0.0.v20071016" referenced by
this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.ui" version "1.0.0.v20071012" referenced by
this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.debug" version "1.0.0.v20071016" referenced by
this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.debug.ui" version "1.0.0.v20070924a"
referenced by this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.launching" version "1.0.0.v20070924a"
referenced by this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.validators.core" version "1.0.0.v20070727b"
referenced by this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.validators.ui" version "1.0.0.v20070727b"
referenced by this feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk" version "1.0.0.v20070727b" referenced by this
feature is missing.

Plug-in "org.eclipse.dltk.testing" version "1.0.0.v20071016" referenced
by this feature is missing.

Geoff wrote:
> Uninstalled previous versions, and then unzipped the all in one bundle.
>
> Eclipse did not work right and the Manage Configuration showed no
> entries. The Find and install didn't show my entries either. I had to
> revert to the backup I had made.
>
> Not sure if I should have done something different or not. I figured
> that was how I should install the Integration zip, but no love...
>
> -Geoff
Re: slow and 100% cpu [message #17067 is a reply to message #17011] Thu, 18 October 2007 02:27 Go to previous message
Andrei Sobolev is currently offline Andrei SobolevFriend
Messages: 72
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Geoff,

I suppose problems are because we made some significant changes in 1.0
version in indexing.

We are thinking about correct update procedure, but not ready with it yet.

To solver problem please try following steps:

1) Remove all 0.9 components from features and plugins subfolder of
Eclipse.( But this is not necessary, becase Eclipse should use plugins
and features with greater version numbers ).

2) Remove all org.eclipse.dltk.* folders from your workspace .metadata
subfolder.
3) Install new 1.0 version of dltk.
4) Start Eclipse with -clean command line option.
5) After eclispe started, please call Build -> Clean for all projects.

I suppose this should help.

Thanks, Andrei.

> Uninstalled previous versions, and then unzipped the all in one bundle.
>
> Eclipse did not work right and the Manage Configuration showed no
> entries. The Find and install didn't show my entries either. I had to
> revert to the backup I had made.
>
> Not sure if I should have done something different or not. I figured
> that was how I should install the Integration zip, but no love...
>
> -Geoff
Previous Topic:DLTK extension?
Next Topic:code refactoring question, renaming a lot of procs names shared over many files
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Apr 21 18:11:35 GMT 2024

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03804 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top