Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » internal packages in sapphire.ui
internal packages in sapphire.ui [message #1144196] Fri, 18 October 2013 18:16 Go to next message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Hey Konstantin,

I noticed during recent refactoring you have several new internal packages in the org.eclipse.sapphire.ui bundle, but those are not exported in the Manifest. I know that its a no-no but right now in my adopter product I'm having to just straight copy some of those classes and I'd rather just reference them directly (e.g. RadioButtonsGroup)

Would you be willing to add those internal packages to exported packages in manifest for us adopters who don't mind the risk of using internal classes? Smile

I could discuss the reasons for needing some internal packages, but I feel that my use-case is esoteric enough it may not be that useful to be added to the framework itself.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2013 18:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: internal packages in sapphire.ui [message #1144226 is a reply to message #1144196] Fri, 18 October 2013 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Why don't you go ahead and raise an enhancement request to make classes you are using public? Probably one bugzilla per class unless the usecase for several classes is somehow tightly coupled. I am not opposed to making more classes public, but I don't like exporting internal packages. I find that it allows for sloppy coding where developers reference internal classes when a perfectly good public class is available. Easy access to internals also makes it easy to forget to file requests to make something public, so over time the project looses ability to know the scope of the real API necessary by adopters.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2013 18:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: internal packages in sapphire.ui [message #1144253 is a reply to message #1144226] Fri, 18 October 2013 19:10 Go to previous message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Sure thing. Here is the first one: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=419887
Previous Topic:If/Then/Else no longer available in sdef?
Next Topic:Runtime Exception when opening Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:18:38 GMT 2024