Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » junit command using p2 site(is it possible to use a p2 site in the junit command?)
junit command using p2 site [message #1125305] Fri, 04 October 2013 11:27 Go to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to cut down the computation time of our builds lately. We use Hudson/Bucky to create Eclipse RCPs.

I realized I could save up some time by ommiting the command "build" (which essentially runs a workspace build), as the "site.p2" command would compile everything anyway. However, this leads to a workspace that is not usable by the junit command.

So my question is, is it possible to point the junit command to a p2 site instead of the bucky workspace to obtain the bundles specified in a launch configuration?

The bucky official book doesn't indicate anything about this. Indeed, the title says:

Quote:
junit -- launches JUnit tests defined in a given launch configuration in the workspace using JUnit launch mode

The other option would be... is there a way to avoid the workspace-build in the site.p2 action? (as you see, the objective is to remove one redundant workspace build, one done through the build command and another done through the site.p2 action).

Im using Bucky 3.6 and Eclipse 3.7.2 as platform.

Thanks in advance,
Víctor.
Re: junit command using p2 site [message #1125378 is a reply to message #1125305] Fri, 04 October 2013 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
Quote:
I realized I could save up some time by ommiting the command "build" (which essentially runs a workspace build), as the "site.p2" command would compile everything anyway

I don't think that's correct. My understanding (based on observation) is that the "site.p2" command only compiles the projects which it needs to; i.e. those components which will actually end up in the p2 site, plus their dependencies. Typically, test plugins or fragments are not included in your RCP product, even though they are in the workspace, so "site.p2" won't build them.

I found that we needed to do a build before the site.p2 for that reason. Fortunately, things don't get re-compiled if they haven't changed, so the overhead is not as much as you might think.

Hope that helps
Matthew

Re: junit command using p2 site [message #1125432 is a reply to message #1125378] Fri, 04 October 2013 13:58 Go to previous message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Hi Matthew,

first of all, thats for sharing your thoughts on this. What you suggest makes sense.

Quote:
I realized I could save up some time by ommiting the command "build" (which essentially runs a workspace build), as the "site.p2" command would compile everything anyway

I infered the above from the buckminster log after the site.p2 action execution. Here's an example of one of our builds:

INFO:  [start com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#eclipse.build]
INFO:  [end com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#eclipse.build]
INFO:  [start com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#manifest]
INFO:  [end com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#manifest]
INFO:  [start com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#bundle.jar]
INFO:  [end com.opencanarias.mset.rosetta.analysis.project.diagrams.ui:osgi.bundle$1.0.0.qualifier#bundle.jar]

So for each artifact, three actions are executed: eclipse.build, manifest and bundle.jar. You are right that assuming eclipse.build does recompile may be wrong. The eclipse.build action is probably more clever than I think Wink

Thanks for your comments!
Víctor.

Previous Topic:Build is slow with buckminster 4.2
Next Topic:Multipath Target Platforms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:37:35 GMT 2024