Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Adding "standard" menu items to Eclipse RCP application?
Adding "standard" menu items to Eclipse RCP application? [message #1113603] Sat, 21 September 2013 11:25 Go to next message
Alan DW is currently offline Alan DWFriend
Hello,

I'm currently working on my first real (3.x) RCP application (only worked on plug-ins before) and I struggle with a problem in my main menu bar. The menu bar in my application is currently empty, but I want almost all of the more general menu commands which are offered by Eclipse itself, for example "File -> New", "File -> Save", "Edit -> Copy", "Window -> Open Perspective" and so on.

What is the recommended way of adding these commands to an RCP application? Do I really have to go to my plugin.xml and add them all manually one-by-one?

Thanks,

Alan
Re: Adding "standard" menu items to Eclipse RCP application? [message #1113633 is a reply to message #1113603] Sat, 21 September 2013 12:33 Go to previous message
Alan DW is currently offline Alan DWFriend
Hi,

I just figured it out. Basically all one has to do to get all default IDE actions is to:

- Create a custom WorkbenchAdvisor
- Create a custom WorkbenchWindowAdvisor and return it in WorkbenchAdvisor#createWorkbenchWindowAdvisor
- In the custom WorkbenchWindowAdvisor, use this:

@Override
	public ActionBarAdvisor createActionBarAdvisor(final IActionBarConfigurer configurer) {
		return new WorkbenchActionBuilder(configurer);
	}

I know, the WorkbenchActionBuilder is actually an internal class with discouraged access, but it works and does *exactly* what I want.

If someone knows of a better way to accomplish this without referring to an internal class, plase let me know.

Alan
Previous Topic:ISO 9241?
Next Topic:contributing to another plug-in's preference page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 09:59:59 GMT 2024