Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Bar charts options?...
Bar charts options?... [message #1112239] Thu, 19 September 2013 09:42 Go to next message
Paolo Aprile is currently offline Paolo AprileFriend
Hi everyone!

I'm currently creating a bunch of charts in a report, and I'm having some difficulty in getting them the way i had imagined.

Is it possible to use both side-by-side and stacked bars in the same graph? I'm trying to compare multiple sets of coupled values, and I'd like to have all values in evidence. Is there any way I can make this happen?

Furthermore, in another graph I'd like to have a bar graph with an overlapping line indicating the median value of the represented bars.

I keep getting the feeling that I'm missing something and that all this should be possible.

Thans for your attention!
Paolo

[Updated on: Thu, 19 September 2013 09:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1112512 is a reply to message #1112239] Thu, 19 September 2013 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Creating multiple series on a stacked bar and then having a field as optional series grouping should do what you're wanting, but I don't know what your data is like, so I'm not totally certain. As for the median value line, you could use a marker line in the chart and set its value dynamically based on your calculation.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1112812 is a reply to message #1112512] Fri, 20 September 2013 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your suggestion Micheal!

I'll try using the stacked bars as you've said, and I'll let you know the results.

As for the marker, I actually already tried that, but I wasn't even sure it accepted dinamic values. Since there isn't an equation builder for that particular element, I tried simply putting in the formula I needed, obtaining a "null" as a result.

I'll review everything from scrap... -_-"

Thanks again!

Paolo
Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1113120 is a reply to message #1112812] Fri, 20 September 2013 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

For the marker, you'll need to calculate the value and set the marker in script. You can place a marker on the chart in the design and simply change its value in your chart script to make it easier.

Michael

Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1114848 is a reply to message #1113120] Mon, 23 September 2013 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, here's what I do:

Format Chart -> Y-Axis -> Markers -> Add Line

In the "Value" option field of the line i try to call the DataCube element (a calculated Max) just as it wuold be called in an equation editor. It doesn't work.

While setting the value as a simple number works properly, every time I try to set it dinamically what I insert in the field disappers just as soon as I click on anithing else or even if I change window. Is this normal? :/

Sorry if I'm being thick-headed, but I don't get how this works...

Thanks again for your time,
Paolo

Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1115743 is a reply to message #1114848] Tue, 24 September 2013 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, since I'm unable to set the dynamic values by any means, I'm trying to proceed by code.

Checking the XML Source of the report I saw that if I set a fixed value (i.e.: 4000), the following code is added:

<Value xsi:type="data:NumberDataElement">
          <Value>4000.0</Value>
        </Value>

So I'm guessing that if I knew the exact setting of xsi:type to set a script I could do it right here in the code.

Does anyone knows hao to do this?

Thanks!
Re: Bar charts options?... [message #1117135 is a reply to message #1115743] Thu, 26 September 2013 06:05 Go to previous message

Sorry for the delay. Here's an example from the BIRT Exchange DevShare that shows how to create dynamic marker lines:

BIRT Exchange DevShare - Dynamic Marker Lines

Michael

Previous Topic:Strange password error when running BIRT 4.3 report
Next Topic:Displaying table headers when table's data is not their
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:44:39 GMT 2024