Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Custom EvlValidator support
Custom EvlValidator support [message #1105802] Tue, 10 September 2013 09:42 Go to next message
Maarten Bezemer is currently offline Maarten BezemerFriend
Hello,

As you might know I am trying to get rid of my customizations of the EvlValidator class.

Last thing that is customized is to support caching of the validation results, preventing revalidating the complete model when a single model element needs to be validated. This speeds up live validation considerable.

My solution is not very stable yet, I suppose, so I'll not try to get it included (further). Unless you guys are interested in this feature, of course.

Therefore, I was wonder whether it is possible to provide a custom EvlValidator (based) class, so one is able to modify the validation steps, without modifying the original plugin/class.

I could provide a patch to extend the extension point with an optional field which allows to provide a custom EvlValidator extending class. This can be used by EValidatorPopulator to optionally create this custom class instead of the default EvlValidator class.

Let me know, and I'll provide the patch.

Cheers,
Maarten
Re: Custom EvlValidator support [message #1106626 is a reply to message #1105802] Wed, 11 September 2013 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

I'm normally wary of caching, as it tends to be harder to get right than expected, increases memory usage and may introduce memory leaks and inconsistencies.

I wouldn't mind looking at a patch like the one you'd suggested, but I think it'd be much better to see why it is taking so long and speeding it up.

Perhaps we could try to support live validation for EVL: when object O of EClass C is changed, we could run all the validation rules for C and its superclasses on O. This could be enabled by users on the constraintsBinding extension, for instance. Wouldn't that be better than caching?

Re: Custom EvlValidator support [message #1106637 is a reply to message #1106626] Wed, 11 September 2013 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would help in speeding up things for live validation yes.
I used caching, as I do not understand the internals of EVL (yet) and could not figure a way how to only check a single element/object (that has been changed).

Additionally, if an object has been changed, it might be required to recheck depending object as well, as the change might result in problems elsewhere (but this a next step in the process/progress, I guess)

How about the custom EvlValidator implementation, would that be acceptable to add?
Re: Custom EvlValidator support [message #1106807 is a reply to message #1106637] Wed, 11 September 2013 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

We would probably have to limit the scope of these rechecks, or there would be little point in adding these feature. I don't have time at the moment to work on this, but it'd be great if you could file an enhancement request for it.

As for the extension field for the custom EvlValidator class, it should be fine as long as it doesn't impact current users or the current design too much. Feel free to submit a patch and we'll have a look at it Smile.
Re: Custom EvlValidator support [message #1107319 is a reply to message #1106807] Thu, 12 September 2013 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The custom EvlValidator support bug and patch is available as Bug #417059

The enhancement request for live validation is available as Bug #417060
Re: Custom EvlValidator support [message #1107343 is a reply to message #1107319] Thu, 12 September 2013 09:13 Go to previous message

Thanks! Let's continue the discussion over there, then.
Previous Topic:[Eugenia] Don't generate specific extension points
Next Topic:how i create new ETL project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:43:10 GMT 2024