Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Eclipse/WTP is adding MANIFEST.MF files to my source tree
Eclipse/WTP is adding MANIFEST.MF files to my source tree [message #163966] Wed, 15 March 2006 16:42 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: kc.baltz.yahoo.com

I'm running Eclipse 3.1.2 + WTP 1.0.1 and have noticed that Eclipse is
inserting a MANIFEST.MF file in the /src/java/META-INF folder for each of my
projects that's listed as a dependency in the J2EE Module Dependencies.
This is annoying because CVS shows the file as needing to be added. It
doesn't seem to me that Eclipse should be adding files to my source tree
that I wouldn't want to commit.

Before I file a bug report, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm new
to WTP, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Re: Eclipse/WTP is adding MANIFEST.MF files to my source tree [message #164013 is a reply to message #163966] Wed, 15 March 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

Manifest files are created whenever you export a Jar anyway, so they'll always be in the output. The reason it puts it in the source is that it gives you the opportunity to add entries to it if you want to.

There may be more specific reasons relating to WTP and adding ClassPath entries in for any .jars that you'd add in at a later stage.

You can either add it to the .cvsignore file, or add it to CVS. I'd recommend the latter of the two, because then you don't lose changes later.

Alex.
Re: Eclipse/WTP is adding MANIFEST.MF files to my source tree [message #164017 is a reply to message #164013] Wed, 15 March 2006 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: kc.baltz.yahoo.com

The thing is, I never told it to create/export a jar. I think it's doing it
automatically as a way of including the classes from my dependent projects.
I can obviously add it to the .cvsignore, but it doesn't seem like I should
have to.

K.C.

"Alex Blewitt" <alex_blewitt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:18572315.1142457076448.JavaMail.root@cp1.javalobby.org...
> Manifest files are created whenever you export a Jar anyway, so they'll
> always be in the output. The reason it puts it in the source is that it
> gives you the opportunity to add entries to it if you want to.
>
> There may be more specific reasons relating to WTP and adding ClassPath
> entries in for any .jars that you'd add in at a later stage.
>
> You can either add it to the .cvsignore file, or add it to CVS. I'd
> recommend the latter of the two, because then you don't lose changes
> later.
>
> Alex.
Re: Eclipse/WTP is adding MANIFEST.MF files to my source tree [message #164056 is a reply to message #164017] Wed, 15 March 2006 23:15 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

The point of WTP is to be able to build WARs, so it structures the source in the way it would if it were going to export it. Similarly, the mechanisms use to load it will be looking for the same information as if it were an expanded WAR file. You may even find that some tools like Tomcat will actually fail if there's no MANIFEST.MF file, since it will be present in every WAR file.

The runtime classpath is only visible to J2EE servers via the entries in the Manifest file; so it's a necessity for it to be in the runtime area.

The point is, that's how WAR files work. Whether you like it or not, it's going to be in the compiled build. All Eclipse is doing is putting it in an area that gives you, the developer, the choice of whether to put this file in the source build and version control. If you don't, that's up to you -- but next time you check out the project you may find it doesn't work if you ignore it.

Alex.
Previous Topic:Tomcat Integration issues
Next Topic:sun java system application server problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:07:28 GMT 2024