Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen(Eclipse Crash on Loading Screen, no errors)
Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1084730] Mon, 12 August 2013 02:06 Go to next message
SplatFace Development is currently offline SplatFace DevelopmentFriend
Hey Everybody,

I have started having problems with eclipse after about a month of it working perfectly fine on this particular computer. Here is a description of the problem.

Whenever I try to start eclipse, the Loading/Splash Screen (whatever you want to call it) comes up for about a second, and the suddenly disappears. No errors come up. I tried running it from command prompt, and the same thing happened, with no errors. Then, I tried doing ".../eclipse/eclipse.exe -clean" and it didn't do anything.

I tried posting on both StackOverflow and Super User, and neither came up with an answer that solved the problem. I figure that I may have better luck here, with solely eclipse users.

I am by no means a new at programming with eclipse, however I am by no means an expert either. I am, however, new to the forums, and do not know where to post this.

I have been using eclipse on my Windows 7 system (64 bit) for 5 months now. That still works fine. I have more recently been using eclipse on my Windows 8 Samsung Tablet Smart PC (32 bit). This is the computer I am having problems with.

The only changes made to my computer are that I recently installed the Leap Motion software and SDK. The next time I tried to open eclipse it didn't work. This may not be related, because I did the same on my Windows 7 computer, where eclipse still works.

Thanks for any help.

If you think I should move this question to a different forum, please tell me where.

Here are the links to my questions on stackoverflow and super user. You may want to review some of the answers/comments. Thanks again.

NOTE
No errors come up when running from desktop, start menu, or command prompt. It just opens the splash screen for a second, then it disappears. I have a JRE from when I first installed it.

I am also having problems running the android ADT, but this is no surprise, because eclipse is not working correctly

LINKS
It won't allow me to post links while I have fewer than 5 messages (if somebody would explain how that works to me I would be grateful), so on stack overflow you can search for Eclipse and Android SDK stopped working (user: SplatFace Development), and on Super User, you can search for two programming programs stopped working (user: SplatFace Development)

Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1084781 is a reply to message #1084730] Mon, 12 August 2013 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

How were you launching it from the command line? Point to the java.exe (do not use javaw.exe when troubleshooting) with the -vm switch and see what happens and what the logs say. Where did you install Eclipse? Could the ownership or access permissions have changed? Could they have been changed on your installed copy of Java?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1085065 is a reply to message #1084781] Mon, 12 August 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was launching it from the command prompt like so.

...Documents\eclipse\eclipse.exe
and
...Documents\eclipse\eclipse.exe -clean

If I should do this a different way, please explain step-by-step. I never really use command prompt and just learned enough to run my "hello world" before eclipse installed. lol.

I installed eclipse and tried to run it in 3 different places now.
1) documents
2) C:\Windows\eclipse
3) My dropbox folder (I did this by putting it into the dropbox folder from my windows 7 computer, in case one of the files in mine were corrupted, but in hindsight it was a bad idea because my Windows 7 is 64-bit while my Windows 8 is 32-bit)

The permissions for Java may have changed when I installed the Leap Motion software, which can also use Java. If this did happen, how would I fix it?

Also, looking back to when this all started, I had forgotten that I started a download for a Java update which I never finished. Could this have stopped eclipse from working? I started updating about 4 days before eclipse stopped working, and I believe it worked the next day, but after that, I didn't use eclipse again until it stopped working.

Thanks again.

Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1085157 is a reply to message #1085065] Mon, 12 August 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOLVED
I re-installed java, and now it works perfectly! I think I may have messed up Java when I stopped an update in progress (which I forgot about until this morning. Sorry) Thanks for your help.
Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1236423 is a reply to message #1085157] Mon, 27 January 2014 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazy bari is currently offline mazy bariFriend
Hi,
I am having the same issue. I am using eclipse in Windows 8, 32Bit m/c.

I have tried installing/uninstalling Java- jre jdk.. nothing works.
System reboot, changing eclipse.ini.. also didnt help. Please let me know if something can be done. Thanks in advance.
Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1236669 is a reply to message #1236423] Mon, 27 January 2014 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You should specify the exact JVM that you want Eclipse to run in, according to http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini
Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1236802 is a reply to message #1236669] Tue, 28 January 2014 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazy bari is currently offline mazy bariFriend
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. But the eclipse was running earlier with the same "eclipse.ini".

But somehow I got the issue now.. actually it is with the eclipse workspace.
Not sure how but when i created a blank workspace with same name, (modified the actual workspace with some other name) & then tried starting eclipse, it is getting started. I think something in my workspace got corrupted. If you can give some light on this issue ... your help will b appreciated..
Thanks Smile
Re: Eclipse Crashing on Startup/Loading/Splash Screen [message #1239742 is a reply to message #1084730] Tue, 04 February 2014 23:39 Go to previous message
Kevin Lockwood is currently offline Kevin LockwoodFriend
Delete the .metadata folder in your current workspace. This is the folder that seemed to get corrupted for me in one of the Java updates. I temporarily pointed Eclipse to another folder to work from. Deleted the .metadata folder in my corrupted workspace. Then closed/reopened Eclipse and redirected it to my original workspace. Since I'd deleted the .metadata folder, eclipse regenerated a new uncorrupted one and everything works.
Previous Topic:Add source code to project
Next Topic:Setting color property of text view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:42:11 GMT 2024