Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » BindingContext and keybindings
BindingContext and keybindings [message #1067974] Thu, 11 July 2013 13:53 Go to next message
Kendall Shaw is currently offline Kendall ShawFriend
What is the meaning of this magical incantation in Application.e4xmi:

<rootContext xmi:id="..." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.context.dialogAndWindow" name="In Dialog and Windows">
<children xmi:id="..." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window" name="In Windows"/>
<children xmi:id=".." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.dialog" name="In Dialogs"/>
</rootContext>

where parts have bindingContext="..." pointing to the root context.

What is interpreting the elementId and what meaning is it associating with the ids?

I don't notice a difference in behavior when I change the example above to any of these:

<rootContext xmi:id="..." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.context.dialogAndWindow" name="In Dialog and Windows"/>

<rootContext xmi:id="..." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.context.dialogAndWindow" name="In Dialog and Windows">
<children xmi:id=".." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.dialog" name="In Dialogs"/>
</rootContext>

<children xmi:id="..." elementId="org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window" name="In Windows"/>
</rootContext>

But, I don't know what they mean, so I might not be testing the right thing.

Kendall

Re: BindingContext and keybindings [message #1067980 is a reply to message #1067974] Thu, 11 July 2013 14:17 Go to previous message
Kendall Shaw is currently offline Kendall ShawFriend
I understand part of it now, I think. I'm reading:

http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html#keybindings

and, I glossed over section 31.5 about activating bindings. The heirarchy allows you to associated a different binding table with the 3 contexts, so that you can have common key bindings for dialogs and windows and separate for each that override any that are the same in the root context.

I am still interested to know what is interpreting the ids though. For one thing, I would like to know if there are more org.eclipse.ui.contexts.* that could be recognized, or if I can create my own and what I would need to do to implement it.
Previous Topic:How to deal with command framework and MasterDetailsBlock
Next Topic:Go to the workbench link issue in welcome page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:46:19 GMT 2024