Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » Enhacement proposal on IdentifierEObjectMatcher
Enhacement proposal on IdentifierEObjectMatcher [message #1066431] Tue, 02 July 2013 15:55 Go to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Hi folks,

after a couple of months using the new 2.1.0 release, we identified a possible enhacement in the IdentifierEObjectMatcher implementation.

IdentifierEObjectMatcher has an IEObjectMatcher delegation mechanism which is pretty convenient. However, the delegation only happens in case no ID is calculated for an arbitrary EObject (in practices, when ID are returned as null). In case the ID is calculated, then its either matched or it is not. If a match is NOT found for an Identifiable EObject, it is always considered ADDED / DELETE. We found that identified but not matched EObjects always ended up ADDED / DELETE, and although its coherent with the concept of unique ID, this scenario could become more flexible by adding another delegation condition.

We found desirable that, if an EObject is suitable for identification (the ID was calculated), but not matched (no match with the same ID was found), that EObject could be passed to the delegated IEObjectMatcher. This means, we are giving an identified-but-not-matched EObject a second chance. Maybe the ProximityMatcher founds a good match for it.

I understand the above may not be desirable to all clients, so we could leave the current behavior as the default, but let clients configure this.

I could create my own IEObjectMatcher implementation with this behavior,
but duplicating a whole class to change a couple lines of code does not seem right.

The right place to introduce this is
IdentifierEObjectMatcher.createMatches(Comparison, Iterator<? extends EObject>, Iterator<? extends EObject>, Iterator<? extends EObject>, Monitor)

Let me share the custom code we added to this method:

List<Match> matchesToPassToProximityMatcher= new ArrayList<Match>();
for (Match match : matches) {
	EObject left = match.getLeft();
	EObject right = match.getRight();
	if (left != null && right == null) {
		if (isExcludibleFromIdMatch(left)) {
			matchesToPassToProximityMatcher.add(match);
			leftEObjectsNoID.add(left);
		}
	}
	if (left == null && right != null) {
		if (isExcludibleFromIdMatch(right)) {
			matchesToPassToProximityMatcher.add(match);
			rightEObjectsNoID.add(right);
		}
	}
}
matches.removeAll(matchesToPassToProximityMatcher);

(Note we don't check origin, as we never use three-way comparisons).

In our case, we went further with this delegation, and we made it happen
only for a subset of the model's EClasses (the isExcludibleFromIdMatch() method)

My proposal would be to introduce a simple protected method that lets
the client process the Set<Match> matches, and the left/right/origin EObjects lists,
right before it enters the delegation mechanism. That way i can subclass IdentifierEObjectMatcher and introduce the above logic in that method. Maybe
other clients find another interesting restrictions.

Hope I was clear enough. Do you guys find this proposal interesting enough to be implemented?
Re: Enhacement proposal on IdentifierEObjectMatcher [message #1066557 is a reply to message #1066431] Wed, 03 July 2013 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Seems fair to me. Could you raise a bugzilla with this use case and the proposed solution? It looks like we could simply extract a protected method for the body of the
if (delegate.isPresent()) { ... }
branch, passing this new method the three "no id" along with the "matches" lists.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: Enhacement proposal on IdentifierEObjectMatcher [message #1066582 is a reply to message #1066557] Wed, 03 July 2013 09:39 Go to previous message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Created Bug 412181 - Flexible delegation on IdentifierEObjectMatcher https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=412181
Previous Topic:NoSuchMethodError on EMFCompareStructureMergeViewer.createToolItems()
Next Topic:Improving threshold usage on EditionDistance.distance(Comparison inProgress, EObject a, EObject b)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:19:31 GMT 2024