Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Opening a view in a non-active perspective(Opening a view in a non-active perspective)
Opening a view in a non-active perspective [message #1066006] Fri, 28 June 2013 19:29
Joseph Gagnon is currently offline Joseph GagnonFriend
I'm using a package mandated by our customer that provides the framework we build our application upon. The framework extends eclipse RCP, although I do not fully know what they have modified or added.

Our application provides the user with a "home" page that allows them to select from one of many features they can use. Each icon/button opens a perspective with a collection of views that we define. They can have any number of the perspectives "running" at any given time, although only one at a time is active and visible. They can easily switch from one to another via buttons on the "header" area. Much of this behavior is provided by the framework we're using.

I have a situation where the user can launch a time-intensive operation from a specific perspective which may take anywhere from seconds to minutes to complete. Once it completes, it opens a "result" view in the perspective. Here's the problem: the user can go to another perspective any time they want. If they happen to be in another perspective when the background job completes, the "results" view is opened in the active perspective ... but that's not where they want it. They want it back in the original perspective the job was launched from.

Is there a way to open a view in a specific perspective (assuming, of course I can gain access to its ID)? Or, can I have the view "added" to the correct perspective, but hidden until I need to show it (i.e. when the results are available)? I suppose I could just always have that view in the perspective and if the user doesn't launch the background job, the view is just empty.

If anyone has ideas on how I might solve this (or come with an alternative), I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Previous Topic:Form ToolBar from plugin.xml definition
Next Topic:How to disable resize of views
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:56:32 GMT 2024