Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Importing or creating a database with BIRT
Importing or creating a database with BIRT [message #1060695] Mon, 27 May 2013 21:58 Go to next message
veronika balažin is currently offline veronika balažinFriend
Hello!

I'm sorry if this post is going to sound stupid, but I'm new at BIRT. I have to use it for a school report and I'm having some trouble with importing data sources and data sets.

I was wandering if there is a way of creating a database in Eclipse and then importing it as a data source? If no, how do you import a database created in SQL Server or in a different program?

I have to create a data warehouse and import it into BIRT so that I can create a few reports.

Thank you in advance for answering and again, I'm sorry for asking a stupid question Sad
Re: Importing or creating a database with BIRT [message #1060877 is a reply to message #1060695] Tue, 28 May 2013 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristopher Clark is currently offline Kristopher ClarkFriend
To connect to a db like mySQL from BIRT you'll need to create a new data source. You'll want to select "JDBC Data Source". Next you'll need to tell BIRT what driver you're wanting to use, for mySQL I use com.mysql.jdbc.Driver (v5.1).

Next you'll need to provide it a url to your database, if mySQL is on the same machine that you are creating the reports on it'd be something like

jdbc+mysql://localhost:3306/databasename

Then you'll need to give it your user name and password. You should test the connection first with the test connection button to make sure everything is correct.

After you've created a data source you can create a new data set. You'll have to provide it a query, a simple one would be something like

select *
from TABLE_NAME

If you're wanting to connect to another type of db you can select it while creating your data source in the first prompt.

If you need help with your SQL query http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/select.html is a good site that you might want to look over.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Importing or creating a database with BIRT [message #1060928 is a reply to message #1060877] Wed, 29 May 2013 08:15 Go to previous message
veronika balažin is currently offline veronika balažinFriend
Thank you very much! Smile
Previous Topic:org.eclipse.birt.report.service.api.ReportServiceException
Next Topic:kindly help me
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 06:49:25 GMT 2024