Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » adding in java version from C++ version(where is jdt plugin)
adding in java version from C++ version [message #1057917] Thu, 09 May 2013 18:52 Go to next message
sydney faria is currently offline sydney fariaFriend
I currently have the c++ version installed in my computer, and would like to now use the java version as well, so I need to install the java plugin into eclipse. The download section shows complete java IDE downloads, but I just need to the java plugin which I cannot find in the downloads unless I am missing something here. Also I will need info on how to install the plugin, and how to switch between the C++ and Java plugins once they are installed into the Eclipse framework.
Re: adding in java version from C++ version [message #1057933 is a reply to message #1057917] Thu, 09 May 2013 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
There isn't a single java plugin. It is many different plugins.

It would probably be far easier to install and maintain a separate
installation and a separate workspace for Java development.

Rich
Re: adding in java version from C++ version [message #1059302 is a reply to message #1057933] Fri, 17 May 2013 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought Eclipse was a "universal framework" that was supposed to independent of any language. If that is so then I can see why it can be used to develop code using C++ or Java or any other language given the correct plugin since Eclipse itself is just a target for any application according to the Eclipse book that I am currently reading. Also, according to the book, since Eclipse is platform independent all one has to do is install the JDT for the java or the CDT for the C++ plugin. These are all found in the plugins directory along with a manifest file. The book also says that it is very easy to switch between plugins as this was the original intention for developing Eclipse! What the book does not mention is where to get the JDT! And that is what I would like to do! Then I can switch back and forth between the Java and C++ plugins in one Eclipse platform and was intended when Eclipse was developed. All I have to do is get the JDT. I suppose I could install the Java version of Eclipse and then go into the plugin directory and copy the JDT into the C++ versions plugin directory, then uninstall the Java Eclipse version, and then I will have both plugins to use. This does seem like a radical solution!!! Then all I have to do is figure out how to switch between the 2 plugins.
Re: adding in java version from C++ version [message #1059317 is a reply to message #1059302] Fri, 17 May 2013 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You install additional plugins using the Help->Install New software menu item. This opens up a dialog that allows you to install plugins from plugin repositories. Eclipse distributions come with repositories built in. If you installed an Indigo or Juno release of the CDT Eclipse, there will be a corresponding repository. Select it in the list and then use the list of plugins to pick which other plugins you want to install.
Re: adding in java version from C++ version [message #1059336 is a reply to message #1059317] Fri, 17 May 2013 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is the address where the downloads came from for the juno version of Eclipse that I have: (http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno) After going to this site and installing the JDT, Eclipse now knows that the JDT is installed, so it looks like you are right on about installing the JDT, which has been driving me crazy! The only final problem that I now have is how to load up Eclipse and then select the plugin to use. If you know this answer that would be great!
Re: adding in java version from C++ version [message #1059355 is a reply to message #1059336] Fri, 17 May 2013 15:46 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You don't really select the plugin to use, you install additional plugins in to Eclipse. This adds additional features to your Eclipse installation that are used depending on what your are doing. If you open a C++ source file, the C++ editor is used. If you open a Java source file, the Java editor is used.

It sounds like you installed a separate instance of Eclipse. You can install additional features within an Eclipse installation by using the Help->Install New Software menu item.
Previous Topic:Triggering the JDT spell check for a complete document
Next Topic:Package Explorer: Ctrl + F doesn't work on Windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:46:45 GMT 2024