Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Incrementing generated primary key in @PrePersist(According to JPA, is it valid and portable to manually increase a JPA-generated primary key in @PrePersists?)
Incrementing generated primary key in @PrePersist [message #1053103] Thu, 02 May 2013 13:02 Go to next message
Markus KARG is currently offline Markus KARGFriend
As my JPA-based program and a third-party non-Java software need to share the same ID Generator, I had to do a trick: The third-party Software expects the value of the generator to be "next id", while JPA expects it to be "last id", so I simply did this:

* Set increment of @TableGenerator to 1, so JPA must SELECT again before each use.
* Added @PostPersist listener to simple switch from "last id" semantics to "next id semantics":

@PrePersist private void prePersist() {
    this.pk.id--;
}

This actually seems to work pretty well, but I like to know whether this is considered harmful in any particular situation, and whether it is actually a portable solution?

Thanks!
-Markus

[Updated on: Fri, 03 May 2013 06:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Incrementing generated primary key in @PrePersist [message #1053744 is a reply to message #1053103] Tue, 07 May 2013 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a single comment on this? So I can assume the EclipseLink Team does not see any negative impact? Great! Smile
Re: Incrementing generated primary key in @PrePersist [message #1053784 is a reply to message #1053744] Tue, 07 May 2013 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

You could also create your own Sequence object that does "last id" semantics.
Just subclass the existing TableSequence.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: Incrementing generated primary key in @PrePersist [message #1053786 is a reply to message #1053784] Tue, 07 May 2013 15:01 Go to previous message
Sounds much more complex than simply adding a callback. Smile
Previous Topic:Unique Constraints and Delete and Insert Order - Constraint Violation
Next Topic:create a function via nativeQuery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:32:13 GMT 2024