Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML?(xtext graphical)
icon5.gif  Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML? [message #1036334] Mon, 08 April 2013 08:44 Go to next message
Hao Zhang is currently offline Hao ZhangFriend
I am following the "domain-model" tutorial.I create the ".dmodel" file in the run-time eclipse. Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML? The reason is that I would like to see the structure and relations in-between which are defined in the ".dmodel" file. For example, the content of my ".dmodel" file is as follows. Thank you in advance!

entity Father {
id: String
firstName: String
lastName: String
wife: Mother
sons: List <Son>
daughters: List <Daughter>
}

entity Mother
{
wife: Father
}

entity Son
{

}

entity Daughter
{
}
Re: Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML? [message #1036339 is a reply to message #1036334] Mon, 08 April 2013 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claudio Heeg is currently offline Claudio HeegFriend
From what I know, there ARE possibilities to make this happen, but it's not natively supported.
The Outline View or Opening the .dmodel File with Sample Reflective Ecore Model Editor should give SOME KIND of overview.
As for specific graphical implementations, there's some work to be done, see also this thread [http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/459849/] and the example linked there for something more - it demonstrates how to visualise a domainmodel graphically.
Alternatively, you could implement something similar to the thing shown here [http://xtexterience.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/generate-graphical-visualizations-for-textual-dsls/] for your DSL.
Re: Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML? [message #1036347 is a reply to message #1036339] Mon, 08 April 2013 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hao Zhang is currently offline Hao ZhangFriend
Hi Claudio

Thank you very much for your reply! I tried to open the .dmocel file with Sample Reflective Ecore Model Editor, it provides a tree view of the model. For the other two approaches, it seems not so easy. Since I am a totally new user to Java and Eclipse at the moment, I hesitate to implement such a function right now. But thank you very much!
Re: Is it possible to view the ".dmodel" file in a graphical view like UML? [message #1037355 is a reply to message #1036347] Tue, 09 April 2013 13:04 Go to previous message
Claudio Heeg is currently offline Claudio HeegFriend
For future reference, i.e. people who want to know this too:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/472225/ is now a great starting point to get a GMF-Editor for a DSL (or an Ecore Model in general) going.
A fundamental understanding of the Ecore Model is basically all you need to visualise your model and be able toe dit it bidirectionally.
Previous Topic:Confusion about completion proposals
Next Topic:Ctrl+Space for content assist doesnt work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:32:30 GMT 2024