Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Non-Java Clients
[CDO] Non-Java Clients [message #1027625] Wed, 27 March 2013 07:36 Go to next message
Nils Meyer is currently offline Nils MeyerFriend
Hi,

We're happily using CDO server for a EMF and GEF based rich client modeling application. Now we're planning to perform changes to the models stored inside the CDO server from other technological environments based on
- Objective C / iOS
- Android Java
- C++ based application

We're now discussing on which level we could set-up this "technology transit":
- Simply create CRUD webservices for the objects stored in the CDO server
- Try to develop some kind of C++ based Net4J implementation and build kind of CDO client implemented in C++ / Objective C

The first seems the easier solution but is missing the possibility to communicate changes in the model in a push mode to the clients while the latter one seems to be quite complex.

What do you think about it? Is anyone aware of already existing tries in a direction of connecting non-java clients with a CDO server?

Regards,
Nils
Re: [CDO] Non-Java Clients [message #1031040 is a reply to message #1027625] Mon, 01 April 2013 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 28.03.2013 17:07, schrieb Nils Meyer:
> Hi,
>
> We're happily using CDO server for a EMF and GEF based rich client modeling application. Now we're planning to perform
> changes to the models stored inside the CDO server from other technological environments based on
> - Objective C / iOS
> - Android Java
> - C++ based application
>
> We're now discussing on which level we could set-up this "technology transit":
> - Simply create CRUD webservices for the objects stored in the CDO server
> - Try to develop some kind of C++ based Net4J implementation and build kind of CDO client implemented in C++ /
> Objective C
>
> The first seems the easier solution but is missing the possibility to communicate changes in the model in a push mode
> to the clients while the latter one seems to be quite complex.
>
> What do you think about it? Is anyone aware of already existing tries in a direction of connecting non-java clients
> with a CDO server?
I know of companies who successfully created (generic) web services and I wonder whether they are willing to contribute
them. Regarding the "push mode" notifications I wonder if there are related WS specs?

Reimplementing (and maintaining) Net4j and CDO in a couple of other languages is nothing would I even like to think about.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: [CDO] Non-Java Clients [message #1031807 is a reply to message #1031040] Tue, 02 April 2013 08:09 Go to previous message
Nils Meyer is currently offline Nils MeyerFriend
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. In general I'm afraid of the re-implementation effort, too, but I was just wondering if I'm not almost there when I'm adding feature after feature.

For the push mechanisms I was thinking about using "new" web technology like web sockets if we implement a "specific generic" solution.

Regards
Nils
Previous Topic:[CDO] Questions about Lazy loading ?
Next Topic:Flow Diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:27:51 GMT 2024