Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Breakpoints in shared libraries loaded at runtime(Breakpoints in shared libraried loaded at runtime remain disabled.)
Breakpoints in shared libraries loaded at runtime [message #1018331] Wed, 13 March 2013 16:12 Go to next message
Catalin Doras is currently offline Catalin DorasFriend
Hello,

Trying to debug a shared library I ran into the following problem:

I start my debug session, load the shared library, insert breakpoints in it and debug. I end the session and restart it. The breakpoints that were in the shared library are not enabled after I load the shared library again.

Debugging this I noticed that for the shared libraries that are linked, Eclipse would issue a break insert comamnd to GDB for those breakpoints, but for the library I load at runtime, there is no break insert command.

When I load the library, I issue an shared library event, but it doesn't result in an attempt from GDB to insert the breakpoints. I am using CDT/CDI.

Is this a known Eclipse CDT issue, or there is another event type that I need to trigger when adding shared libraries at runtime. (The corresponding GDB action for loading this library is to issue an add-symbol-file command).

The codes that fires the event looks like this:

MIShared shared = new MIShared(from, to, true, file);
SharedLibrary library = new SharedLibrary(target, shared);
Session session = (Session)target.getSession();
ICDIEvent event = new CreatedEvent(session, library);
EventManager eventManager = (EventManager) session.getEventManager();
eventManager.fireEvents(new ICDIEvent[] {event});

Thank you,
Catalin

Re: Breakpoints in shared libraries loaded at runtime [message #1018764 is a reply to message #1018331] Thu, 14 March 2013 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
This should work. Eclipse will insert pending breakpoint. Which version of CDT and gdb are you using? And why are you using CDT/CDI and not DSF?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Breakpoints in shared libraries loaded at runtime [message #1018776 is a reply to message #1018764] Thu, 14 March 2013 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Axel,

Thank you for the reply.
I'm using Eclipse CDT 8.1.1 (also C/C++ Remote Debug Launch version is 6.0.0(org.eclipse.cdt.launch.remote) and GDB Common version is 7.0.0 (org.eclipse.cdt.gdb)
GDB version is 7.4. Using mi interpreter.
The reason I use CDT/CDI is some legacy code not ported to DSF.

CDT doesn't seem to try to insert a pending breakpoint.

17-break-insert pong.c:40
17^error,msg="No source file named pong.c."

Then for every shared library linked with the image

21 info sharedlibrary
&"info sharedlibrary\n"
~"From To Syms Read Shared Object Library\n"
~"0xb7fdf830 0xb7ff792f Yes /lib/ld-linux.so.2\n"
21^done
(gdb)
22-break-insert pong.c:40
22^error,msg="No source file named pong.c."

When later on I load a shared library at runtime, there is no attempt to re-insert the breakpoint. I was thinking if there was a way to make it trigger the re-insert attempt or maybe I should trigger an additional event.

My understanding is that instead of trying the above mechanics, CDT should specify the "-f" option to the gdb mi command.

Catalin
Re: Breakpoints in shared libraries loaded at runtime [message #1031342 is a reply to message #1018331] Mon, 01 April 2013 15:48 Go to previous message
Hello again.

In fact, it seems that the

org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core plugin doesn't have this functionality. My version is 7.2.0.201209170703.

at org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core.command.MIBreakInsert the -f flag that is available from gdb6.5 is not implemented/supported.

Unfortunately the "set breakpoint pending on" command in GDB only affects the CLI break command so there was no way out for me.

I think the way out would be for CDT to set -f by default for -break-insert.

Previous Topic:Problem in Compiling (G++ parameters)
Next Topic:Error Parser Plugin within .cproject settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:20:48 GMT 2024