Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » potential workaround for startup speed issue
potential workaround for startup speed issue [message #1018098] Wed, 13 March 2013 06:21 Go to next message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Recently there was a discussion about memory usage and how that affect startup speed.

Since the resolution of startup speed issues is likely to be very complex and may not be resolved in the 0.7 timeline, I was wondering about the possibility of a workaround to reduce the impact of the startup speed to make it into the 0.7 timeline.

Could we refactor the startup mechanisms to delay as many subsystems of sapphire UI as possible until the user actually needs them?

What I'm thinking is the approach where the adopter wants to change the default order or startup page of the editor. The idea for a traditional sapphire UI/XML source MPE, is that I could start the editor by default in "source" mode and it would start as fast or nearly as fast as vanilla XML editor. And then when the user switches to sapphire UI, then sapphire could build the UI and display a "loading screen or message" in the mean time.

I haven't tried but this may even be possible using existing sapphire APIs and just some rework of the editor page compositions. But I would imagine there would have to be some changes to the framework made in order for this to work. Also I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts before I even began to try to work something like this out.

Re: potential workaround for startup speed issue [message #1018325 is a reply to message #1018098] Wed, 13 March 2013 16:02 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
A "loading" message for Sapphire rendered pages would be useful. The cleverness would need to be implemented in SapphireEditorFormPage. In terms of the controlling the initial editor page, Sapphire stores the last active page for a given file as part of editor state. If state is not found, it's always the first page. See SapphireEditor.getLastActivePage().

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:Monitoring adds/removes to a ModelElementList
Next Topic:Project Lombok
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:10:48 GMT 2024