Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » Initializing a population
Initializing a population [message #1015822] Sun, 03 March 2013 08:57 Go to next message
Tal Nagar is currently offline Tal NagarFriend
Hi
I am quite new to STEM and wondered what is the best way to add a population model of animals. The data I have is for animals and I have the animal count per district. Using population initializer I need to enter each district seperately so it is not a good option for me. I wondered if there is a faster way to do it (using a graph maybe).
I also have an issue with converting districts names to the code names used in STEM and wondered where the conversion between name and number was kept.

any help will be appreciated.
Re: Initializing a population [message #1016852 is a reply to message #1015822] Thu, 07 March 2013 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Tal,

you're correct that a population initializer is not very suitable if you want to initialize animal populations for many different districts. It works but it's very tedious.

A better solution is to create a Pajek import file from your data with the population numbers. You can import this as a graph in STEM and add to your model. The documentation is here:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Importing_a_Pajek_Graph

Hope this helps!
Re: Initializing a population [message #1017301 is a reply to message #1016852] Mon, 11 March 2013 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Stefan, I will try doing that.

I am working on Uganda and the division to districts in the built in stem models is not updated to the current division. Is Pajek graph the appropriate for generating a new area map? I have the langitude and longitude of each district however not the polygons.

Thank you again!
Re: Initializing a population [message #1017399 is a reply to message #1017301] Mon, 11 March 2013 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, I took a look at the data we have for Uganda right now and its resolution is down to admin 2, so fairly detailed. Do you mean that the data in STEM is not correctly reflecting the current political boundaries? If so, if you have better data that we can also share under EPL I propose you could contribute that back to STEM.

If you want to import new polygons in STEM you can try using the shape file importer:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Importing_an_Esri_Shapefile

(assuming you have the esri shape files).

The pajek importer will generate simple square polygons for your regions, so if you're okay with that for now that's the way to do it. Just make sure you enter the lat/lon correctly in the file. You can also refer to existing regions using the "stem://org.eclipse.stem/node/geo/region/XX-XXX" format. But you would only do this if the current data in STEM for Uganda is okay for you, which I guess might not be the case.

Best Regards,
/ Stefan
Re: Initializing a population [message #1017624 is a reply to message #1017399] Tue, 12 March 2013 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
I am working with level 1 data so I am not sure about level 2. However, around 2010 the division to districts/counties/parishes in Uganda was changed. In level 1 for example in STEM there are about 50 districts, and today there are officially 111. There are maps I found online there are updated however I can't seem to import them using the esri shape file importer because of errors.
The files can be found in:
cod.humanitarianresponse.info/country-region/uganda
or
cod.humanitarianresponse.info/sites/default/files/uganda_district2010.zip

If you can update the built in maps that would be great, otherwise any advise on how to import these files will be appreciated.
thanks,
Tal
Re: Initializing a population [message #1031449 is a reply to message #1017624] Mon, 01 April 2013 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
Tal,
The problem was caused by the Uganda shape file. The file contains invalid records (that led to null rows). Other applications just ignore these rows. I checked in changes to STEM to more gracefully handle the null rows (now there will be a warning and the reader just skips the invalid records). This change will be available later this week in the new milestone build for V2.0, or you can just get latest from repository and run from your development environment. Please note the new STEM2.product per Matt's latest changes to the build.

Either way, once you have latest please give it a try again. You will have to double click on the shp file in the graph generator dialog and then click "Show Data" to customize the header to the region IDs which is also nonstandard in this file. Please see:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Importing_an_Esri_Shapefile
Re: Initializing a population [message #1033786 is a reply to message #1031449] Thu, 04 April 2013 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Jamie!
Re: Initializing a population [message #1033793 is a reply to message #1033786] Thu, 04 April 2013 16:50 Go to previous message
Thank you all for the help!
Previous Topic:STEM V2.0.0 Milestone 1 (coming soon)
Next Topic:Automated Model Creation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:14:26 GMT 2024