Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » Can't get standalone ProR to work
Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015470] Thu, 28 February 2013 16:24 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question. I've downloaded the latest 0.6.0 version of ProR MacOSX edition. Unzipped the file only to find that the Eclipse application cannot be run, it is incomplete according to the OS. Looking inside the package shows that it is mostly empty. What do I need to do to make it executable?

I have also tried the alternative of installing ProR from within Eclipse (Juno). All seems to go okay but when I try to run it, it complains about AgileGrid. I've tried installing AgileGrid v 1.2.3 but it continues to generate an error.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Peter
Re: Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015481 is a reply to message #1015470] Thu, 28 February 2013 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hi Peter,

Peter Ho wrote on Thu, 28 February 2013 17:24
Hi Everyone,
Unzipped the file only to find that the Eclipse application cannot be run, it is incomplete according to the OS. Looking inside the package shows that it is mostly empty. What do I need to do to make it executable?

Sounds like a problem on the build server with regard to cross-compilation. We'll look into it.

Hi Everyone,
I have also tried the alternative of installing ProR from within Eclipse (Juno). All seems to go okay but when I try to run it, it complains about AgileGrid. I've tried installing AgileGrid v 1.2.3 but it continues to generate an error.

Do you mean AgileGrid 1.2.3 or 1.3.3? The latest is 1.3.3.

We just had another, similar complaint (confirmed in AgileGrid 1.3.1). My *guess* is that it's related to the JVM. While AgileGrid should run with Java 5, It seems that something is wrong that requires Java 7. We tried to fix it with AgileGrid 1.3.3. Can you confirm your AgileGrid version number, please?

I belive that OS X ships with Java 6, not Java 7. Java 6 is enough to run ProR, but you won't be able to use the XHTML-Editor that is part of the ProR Essentials.

Best,

- Michael
Re: Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015492 is a reply to message #1015470] Thu, 28 February 2013 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Peter,

I just tried to reproduce your problem on a Mac:

Quote:
Unzipped the file only to find that the Eclipse application cannot be run

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this. I downloaded 0.6.0, and it worked right away.

Quote:
All seems to go okay but when I try to run it, it complains about AgileGrid.

I could reproduce this one, and it is definitely related to Java 7. We fixed this problem on the nightly server. Please try the following version and let me know if it resolves your problems:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/rmf-nightly/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/product/

Please note that while you can install the XHTML feature from the Essentials, they will be deactivated, unless you install Java 7. The default on Mac is Java 6.

Best,

- Michael
Re: Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015522 is a reply to message #1015481] Fri, 01 March 2013 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Michael Jastram wrote on Thu, 28 February 2013 11:55
Hi Peter,

Hi Everyone,
Unzipped the file only to find that the Eclipse application cannot be run, it is incomplete according to the OS. Looking inside the package shows that it is mostly empty. What do I need to do to make it executable?

Sounds like a problem on the build server with regard to cross-compilation. We'll look into it.

Thanks that would help greatly.

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

Do you mean AgileGrid 1.2.3 or 1.3.3? The latest is 1.3.3.

We just had another, similar complaint (confirmed in AgileGrid 1.3.1). My *guess* is that it's related to the JVM. While AgileGrid should run with Java 5, It seems that something is wrong that requires Java 7. We tried to fix it with AgileGrid 1.3.3. Can you confirm your AgileGrid version number, please?

Unfortunately I was only able to find and down version 1.2.3 from the sourceforge website.

However a quick check of what was included in my Juno distribution of Eclipse shows that it comes with version 1.3.1 of AgileGrid already installed.

It is strange that Sourceforge has an older version of this application.

Quote:
I belive that OS X ships with Java 6, not Java 7. Java 6 is enough to run ProR, but you won't be able to use the XHTML-Editor that is part of the ProR Essentials.

Best,

- Michael

Yes that is correct Mac comes with Java 6 and I've now install Java 7. Having installed Java 7, I can now run ProR without getting the AgileGrid error, which is a relief.

I am still none the wiser as to why your ProR standalone doesn't work but thanks for resolving the AgileGrid problem. I can now at least get on with learning how to use the tool.

Many thanks,

Peter

Re: Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015536 is a reply to message #1015522] Fri, 01 March 2013 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Peter,

Quote:
Unfortunately I was only able to find and down version 1.2.3 from the sourceforge website.

However a quick check of what was included in my Juno distribution of Eclipse shows that it comes with version 1.3.1 of AgileGrid already installed.

There are two versions on Sourceforge: The "standard" release, and one tailored to RMF. I just checked and saw that the RMF-Version is not available for download, as it's available via update site. There's definitely room for improvement.

Good to hear that Java 7 solved your problem. I am still curious regarding the standalone version: As I said, I could not reproduce that problem on my Mac. The download worked just fine.

- Micael

Re: Can't get standalone ProR to work [message #1015537 is a reply to message #1015492] Fri, 01 March 2013 07:45 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Michael Jastram wrote on Thu, 28 February 2013 14:02
Hi Peter,

I just tried to reproduce your problem on a Mac:

Quote:
Unzipped the file only to find that the Eclipse application cannot be run

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this. I downloaded 0.6.0, and it worked right away.

Just to be sure, I downloaded the standalone 0.6.0 distribution again from:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/rmf/downloads/drops/0.6.0/S201302070954/eclipse-rmf-pror-0.6.0-snapshot-201302070954-incubation-macosx.cocoa.x86_64.zip

And I also downloaded Michael's nightly build in order to have something to compare. I think I now understand what I did wrong.

When I examined Michael's distribution, the "rmf-pror" file is displayed with a proper "PR" icon and the "Eclipse" file is not present in his folder. Whilst in the distribution that I downloaded from the link above, the "rmf-pror" is displayed with a generic application icon and there's a non-functioning Eclipse file in the folder. Instinctively I double clicked on the Eclipse file instead of the rmf-pror file, which of course is the wrong file. Perhaps you should remove the Eclipse file from your next release. Okay that clears up that problem.

BUT, in playing with both versions, there is still a AgileGrid problem with the 0.6.0 standalone version that is not present in Michael's distribution. And yes I have upgraded to Java 7 on my Mac so that is not the problem.

Quote:

Quote:
All seems to go okay but when I try to run it, it complains about AgileGrid.

I could reproduce this one, and it is definitely related to Java 7. We fixed this problem on the nightly server. Please try the following version and let me know if it resolves your problems:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/rmf-nightly/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/product/

Please note that while you can install the XHTML feature from the Essentials, they will be deactivated, unless you install Java 7. The default on Mac is Java 6.

Best,

- Michael

Having installed Java 7 on my Mac, the problem with AgileGrid has resolved itself in my Juno version of Eclipse and it works like Michael's distribution. So there is certainly something not right with 0.6.0.

So in the meantime, I'm going to stick to using my Juno Eclipse version with your ProR plugins until the problem with 0.6.0 is sorted.

Thanks for all the help.

Peter
Previous Topic:RIF <-> ReqIF
Next Topic:Latest Version of Agile Grid
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:25:55 GMT 2024