Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ?(Version Statistics)
Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1015124] Wed, 27 February 2013 14:27 Go to next message
Terry Lurie is currently offline Terry LurieFriend
Hi, I am planning on releasing an Open Source 'improved' Properties view based on the existing Properties view.

It would be nice to release versions compatible with Eclipse platforms in wide use, but I'd be keen to minimize how many versions I need to make.

I was wondering what version of Eclipse are in common use these days ( 2013-02 ).

Is there a resource that has a best-estimate breakdown ?
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1015225 is a reply to message #1015124] Wed, 27 February 2013 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Terry,

So you depend on special things that are specific to a particular
version of Eclipse? If you can build against say Eclipse 3.7 you should
be able to provide one thing that works on 3.7 through 4.x.

On 27/02/2013 8:25 PM, Terry Lurie wrote:
> Hi, I am planning on releasing an Open Source 'improved' Properties
> view based on the existing Properties view.
> It would be nice to release versions compatible with Eclipse platforms
> in wide use, but I'd be keen to minimize how many versions I need to
> make.
>
> I was wondering what version of Eclipse are in common use these days (
> 2013-02 ).
>
> Is there a resource that has a best-estimate breakdown ?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1015358 is a reply to message #1015225] Thu, 28 February 2013 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed. As a bit of background to why I want to know: I need to provide a new behavior to

org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.PropertySheetPage .performDragSetData()

, but unfortunately there are hardcoded visibility restrictions in the source which prevent me using the simpler method of subclassing .

So I need to deep-clone the whole package ( urgh ) to get the minor behavior change I want.

[ The particular behaviour is copying just the value to the clipboard. Current behaviour for "NAME: VALUE" copies "NAME:\tVALUE" to the clipboard, whereas I would like simply "VALUE" ]

So I need to get all the relavant org.eclipse.ui.views_*.* packages and manually clone the views.properties, run some tests.

That is why I wanted to know which version of eclipse are in wide use : to save me as much time as possible.

Colleauges of mine are still on 3.2, 3.4, but I wanted to see what the rest-of-the-world uses too.
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1015363 is a reply to message #1015358] Thu, 28 February 2013 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops, slight correction, DND is fine and done, but Cut'n'paste is inaccessible

org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.PropertySheetPage . makeActions() is private and thus inaccessible without deep-cloning.

The CopyPropertyAction would need to be changed within makeActions() Sad
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1016334 is a reply to message #1015363] Wed, 06 March 2013 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Terry,

Deep cloning just sounds like a long term problem. Could you perhaps
register another listener that either happens after and simply does what
you want so the base behavior's result in the clipboard is replaced, or
happens before, and marks the event so there is no further process?

On 28/02/2013 12:04 PM, Terry Lurie wrote:
> Oops, slight correction, DND is fine and done, but Cut'n'paste is
> inaccessible
>
> org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.PropertySheetPage . makeActions() is
> private and thus inaccessible without deep-cloning.
>
> The CopyPropertyAction would need to be changed within makeActions() :(
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1016468 is a reply to message #1016334] Wed, 06 March 2013 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed.

I had considered that approach, along with using iteration to find the CopyPropertyAction object at runtime and replacing it.

None of my options are pretty or robust, so I may as well pick the easiest and cross my fingers.

--

I analysed how many different versions of the plugin have been released, and it came to 18 when repeats are discarded.

I'm not prepared to make 5+ different releases of my minor changes, so I will have to try either your option or my find-n-replace-at-runtime option.
Re: Eclipse Installation Breakdown : What versions are in wide use ? [message #1017279 is a reply to message #1016468] Mon, 11 March 2013 13:14 Go to previous message
Fredrik Attebrant is currently offline Fredrik AttebrantFriend

@Terry - any progress with this?
I'm facing much the same problem - wanting to customize the copying from the properties view - so very interested in any progress you're making.
Previous Topic:Eclipse error : SHA-1 not available
Next Topic:How to add items to markersupport view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:05:41 GMT 2024