Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Generating ER Diagrams from UML
Generating ER Diagrams from UML [message #1012811] Fri, 22 February 2013 09:08 Go to next message
roshni rajagopal is currently offline roshni rajagopalFriend
Is there a way to generate E/R diagram & DDL using Teneo or any other Eclipse Modeling Project Tool from a UML diagram created in another Eclipse modeling tool- Papyrus. Papyrus supports XMI export.

I can import the diagram created in Papyrus to Erwin. I was looking for an eclipse plugin which would work integrated with Papyrus & EMF to take XMI/UML as an input and help generate an ER diagram and DDL for it.

Teneo's description looks promising - but does it support XMI/EMF ? I tried out the plugin DBeaver- but it doesnt seem to allow XMI import.

It would be great to move from UML to detailed ER diagram to DDL via one tool.
Re: Generating ER Diagrams from UML [message #1012895 is a reply to message #1012811] Fri, 22 February 2013 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Roshni,
You can generate a hbm programmatically and then use it to generate a DDL using the Hibernate SchemaExport class.

The HbHelper.INSTANCE.generateMapping(....) method will generate a hbm from a list of epackages.

gr. Martin

On 02/22/2013 10:08 AM, roshni rajagopal wrote:
> Is there a way to generate E/R diagram & DDL using Teneo or any other Eclipse Modeling Project Tool from a UML diagram
> created in another Eclipse modeling tool- Papyrus. Papyrus supports XMI export.
> I can import the diagram created in Papyrus to Erwin. I was looking for an eclipse plugin which would work integrated
> with Papyrus & EMF to take XMI/UML as an input and help generate an ER diagram and DDL for it.
> Teneo's description looks promising - but does it support XMI/EMF ? I tried out the plugin DBeaver- but it doesnt seem
> to allow XMI import.
>
> It would be great to move from UML to detailed ER diagram to DDL via one tool.

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: Generating ER Diagrams from UML [message #1014078 is a reply to message #1012811] Mon, 25 February 2013 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roshni rajagopal is currently offline roshni rajagopalFriend
Thanks Martin,

But can I start with a UML class diagram in Eclipse Modeling Tools or Eclipse Papyrus, and then convert that class diagram to an E/R diagram? Maybe by marking some classes as ORM persistable or some other sterotype?

I dont want a bottom up approach where i code something, and generate a diagram /DDL. Is a top down approach starting from a UMl diagram to ER diagram to DDL possible using Eclipse Modeling tools?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 February 2013 05:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Generating ER Diagrams from UML [message #1014128 is a reply to message #1014078] Mon, 25 February 2013 08:09 Go to previous message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Roshni,
There is no direct menu option to do such things.

What Teneo offers is an ecore --> hbm --> ddl transformation. But you have to write some code for this (but not much,
like 20 lines or so).

gr. Martin

On 02/25/2013 06:38 AM, roshni rajagopal wrote:
> Thanks Martin,
>
> But can I start with a UML class diagram in Eclipse Modeling Tools or Eclipse Papyrus, and then convert that class
> diagram to an E/R diagram? Maybe by marking some classes as ORM persistable or some other sterotype?
>
> I dont want a bottom approach where i code something, and generate a diagram /DDL. Is a top down approach starting from
> a UMl diagram to ER diagram to DDL possible using Eclipse Modeling tools?
>

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Previous Topic:EMF development enviroment for Juno?
Next Topic:OPTION_SCHEMA_LOCATION has no effect
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:09:15 GMT 2024