Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » Building an GMF-based editor for an definde UML-profile(Extending UML.ecore by inheritance let several methods unimplemented? Is there a better way?)
Building an GMF-based editor for an definde UML-profile [message #1006700] Fri, 01 February 2013 13:42 Go to next message
Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta Waldemarin is currently offline Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta WaldemarinFriend
Hi, pals! I'm a rookie in Eclipse Modeling Framework and GMF and I'm in a project to build an ontology editor based in an UML profile. As a newcomer, I posted in the Newcomer Forum this question:

Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta Waldemarin wrote on Thu, 31 January 2013 13:32
Hi! I'm trying to build an GMF-based editor for an UML profile defined in a previous work in my laboratory. The first approach I'm using to build the domain model is to extend by inheritance the elements the uml.ecore I'd found in mdt-uml2-Update-4.1.0M4.zip in an EMF project.

The genmodel is created without complains, but when I generated the model code several errors (about to 200) appears because of unimplemented methods of the UML elements (such as Association.getOwnedEnd(String,Type) and Dependency.getClient(String)).

I think that to implement each of this methods "by hand" will be a really time-consuming activity so I'm asking:
- Is there some place or resource that I can use that already have those methods implemented? (Since they are methods relative to the UML.ecore I think someone should have implemented and used they already.)
- Or, at least, is there a better way to implement this profile in a way I can use it as the *.ecore of the domain model of the GMF-based editor I'll build?

Thank you in advance. Wink

Ed Merks replied me and suggested to post the question in this forum. Also, he said that extending UML.ecore could be a bad idea and that a better way to build my metamodel is modeling the profile in Eclipse and using it to annotate the metamodel. So I'm asking now if it's possible to create this profile and annotated metamodel in a way that I can use it for the GMF project of my editor? (it will result in an ecore file?)

I'm attaching the UML fragment I have special interest in the defined profile.

Thank you for all the attention!
Re: Building an GMF-based editor for an definde UML-profile [message #1006777 is a reply to message #1006700] Fri, 01 February 2013 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It's far from clear to me what you are doing, but from the errors it
would appear that you are re-implementing UML, which as you have
observed may involve rather a lot of work.

I would expect you just to reuse UML, so I suggest following a few of
the Papyrus tutorials to get a hang of the normal way of doing things.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 01/02/2013 13:42, Ricardo \"CaWal\" Cacheta Waldemarin wrote:
> Hi, pals! I'm a rookie in Eclipse Modeling Framework and GMF and I'm in a project to build an ontology editor based in an UML profile. As a newcomer, I posted in the Newcomer Forum this question:
>
> Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta Waldemarin wrote on Thu, 31 January 2013 13:32
>> Hi! I'm trying to build an GMF-based editor for an UML profile defined in a previous work in my laboratory. The first approach I'm using to build the domain model is to extend by inheritance the elements the uml.ecore I'd found in mdt-uml2-Update-4.1.0M4.zip in an EMF project.
>>
>> The genmodel is created without complains, but when I generated the model code several errors (about to 200) appears because of unimplemented methods of the UML elements (such as Association.getOwnedEnd(String,Type) and Dependency.getClient(String)).
>>
>> I think that to implement each of this methods "by hand" will be a really time-consuming activity so I'm asking:
>> - Is there some place or resource that I can use that already have those methods implemented? (Since they are methods relative to the UML.ecore I think someone should have implemented and used they already.)
>> - Or, at least, is there a better way to implement this profile in a way I can use it as the *.ecore of the domain model of the GMF-based editor I'll build?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. ;)
>
> Ed Merks replied me and suggested to post the question in this forum. Also, he said that extending UML.ecore could be a bad idea and that a better way to build my metamodel is modeling the profile in Eclipse and using it to annotate the metamodel. So I'm asking now if it's possible to create this profile and annotated metamodel in a way that I can use it for the GMF project of my editor? (it will result in an ecore file?)
>
> I'm attaching the UML fragment I have special interest in the defined profile.
>
> Thank you for all the attention!
Re: Building an GMF-based editor for an definde UML-profile [message #1006994 is a reply to message #1006700] Sun, 03 February 2013 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenn Hussey is currently offline Kenn HusseyFriend
Ricardo,

You may find the following article helpful (in case you haven't seen it
already):

http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/uml2/docs/articles/Customizing_UML2_Which_Technique_is_Right_For_You/article.html

Kenn

On 13-02-01 8:42 AM, Ricardo \"CaWal\" Cacheta Waldemarin wrote:
> Hi, pals! I'm a rookie in Eclipse Modeling Framework and GMF and I'm in a project to build an ontology editor based in an UML profile. As a newcomer, I posted in the Newcomer Forum this question:
>
> Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta Waldemarin wrote on Thu, 31 January 2013 13:32
>> Hi! I'm trying to build an GMF-based editor for an UML profile defined in a previous work in my laboratory. The first approach I'm using to build the domain model is to extend by inheritance the elements the uml.ecore I'd found in mdt-uml2-Update-4.1.0M4.zip in an EMF project.
>>
>> The genmodel is created without complains, but when I generated the model code several errors (about to 200) appears because of unimplemented methods of the UML elements (such as Association.getOwnedEnd(String,Type) and Dependency.getClient(String)).
>>
>> I think that to implement each of this methods "by hand" will be a really time-consuming activity so I'm asking:
>> - Is there some place or resource that I can use that already have those methods implemented? (Since they are methods relative to the UML.ecore I think someone should have implemented and used they already.)
>> - Or, at least, is there a better way to implement this profile in a way I can use it as the *.ecore of the domain model of the GMF-based editor I'll build?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. ;)
>
>
> Ed Merks replied me and suggested to post the question in this forum. Also, he said that extending UML.ecore could be a bad idea and that a better way to build my metamodel is modeling the profile in Eclipse and using it to annotate the metamodel. So I'm asking now if it's possible to create this profile and annotated metamodel in a way that I can use it for the GMF project of my editor? (it will result in an ecore file?)
>
> I'm attaching the UML fragment I have special interest in the defined profile.
>
> Thank you for all the attention!
>
Re: Building an GMF-based editor for an definde UML-profile [message #1007089 is a reply to message #1006994] Mon, 04 February 2013 12:10 Go to previous message
Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta Waldemarin is currently offline Ricardo \\\"CaWal\\\" Cacheta WaldemarinFriend
Thank you! I'll give it a try!
Previous Topic:How to get a metaclass for Stereotype.createExtension()
Next Topic:Any way to set the default value for a LiteralInteger explicitly?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:04:10 GMT 2024