Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Reusing plugins folder for multiple RCP applications
Reusing plugins folder for multiple RCP applications [message #997574] Tue, 08 January 2013 12:36 Go to next message
Christoph Keimel is currently offline Christoph KeimelFriend
Hello

We have multiple RCP applications running on windows. Each of these applications uses about 90% of the same plugins. I would like all plugins to be in same folder for easier provisioning and updating.

I have tried 2 different scenarios, but I am having trouble to set this up. Any help is very welcome!

1) Tell the exe to use the global plugins directory

In this scenario the directory structure would look like this:

global
- rcp1
  - configuration
    - config.ini
  - rcp1.exe
  - rcp1.ini
- rcp2
  - configuration
    - config.ini
  - rcp2.exe
  - rcp2.ini
- plugins

My approach was to use -install and --launcher.library in the rcpX.ini to tell the framework to use the global/plugins directory. I tried this in several different variations, but I always get an error that the executable launcher was unable to locate its companion launcher jar.

Has anyone tried this approach successfully?

2) Tell the framework to use a different config.ini

First, I looked for an option to point directly to a config.ini, but I couldn't find it. Does an option like this exists?

I then tried to point to a different configuration directory using the -configuration option in the rcpX.ini. In this case the directory structure would look like this:

global
- configuration_rcp1
  - config.ini
- configuration_rcp2
  - config.ini
- plugins
- rcp1.exe
- rcp1.ini
- rcp2.exe
- rcp2.ini

This approach had the best result so far, since the applications all start as expected. The only problem with this scenario is, that now the framework will create files in the configuration_rcpX directories. This is not possible in the production environment.

(Normaly I use osgi.configuration.area=@user.home/... in config.ini which sets up the configuration area in a writable place.)

I tried different configurations using osgi.configuration.area.readOnly=true, osgi.configuration.cascaded=true and osgi.sharedConfiguration.area=@user.home/... but was unable to separate the config.ini from the writable configuration area.

Is there a way to inject the configuration into the framework but still keep the config.ini in the install location?

Thank you for reading all of this!

Smile
Christoph
Re: Reusing plugins folder for multiple RCP applications [message #1002343 is a reply to message #997574] Fri, 18 January 2013 12:33 Go to previous message
Sumit Singh is currently offline Sumit SinghFriend

You can use a "shared dropins directory" to avoid the copy altogether.

Modify tour eclipse.ini for both installation:

-Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/<myPath>/mySharedDropins

Previous Topic:SSH keystore incompatible if generated with IBM JDK
Next Topic:Dropins Folder?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:31:36 GMT 2024