Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Custom build(Build project through batch file)
icon8.gif  Custom build [message #988206] Wed, 28 November 2012 19:33 Go to next message
Ivan Galicia is currently offline Ivan GaliciaFriend
Hi all,

In my job, We are using a batch file to compile our products, I edit the build command in "builder settings" to use the batch file. The issue is the compilation process takes around 9:20 minutes average. I wondering if anyone use this kind of compilation and if you know a way to reduce the compilation time.

System:

-Eclipse Juno
-CDT 8.1
-Renesas plugin (e2studio) only to uses the IAR error parser. This plugin does not work on CDT 8.1
- Windows 7
- Opus make
- RAM 4 GB

thanks in advance.
Re: Custom build [message #988912 is a reply to message #988206] Mon, 03 December 2012 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Bußmann is currently offline Paul BußmannFriend
I had a similar performance issue on CDT/Windows, GNU make (not managed by CDT), GCC (Cygwin). The solution was to exclude the used directories from anti-virus scanning and disabling logging of every process creation in the windows security event log (process creation can be quite time expensive and every g++ call is a new process...). interestingly it was much more faster calling make from a cygwin bash than from Eclipse, although I never investigated into the reason for this.
Re: Custom build [message #989329 is a reply to message #988912] Wed, 05 December 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Galicia is currently offline Ivan GaliciaFriend
Paul,
Thanks for you comments, unfortunately I don't have access to disable the event log or to exclude the files for the antivirus scanning due IT policies.

I increase the priority of eclipse process in the task manager, I would say that I have a little improvement but it's not enough, the compilation takes 8:50 minutes.

Do you have an other advice ?
Re: Custom build [message #989658 is a reply to message #989329] Fri, 07 December 2012 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Wibben is currently offline Dirk WibbenFriend
Ivan Galicia wrote on Wed, 05 December 2012 17:24
Paul,
Thanks for you comments, unfortunately I don't have access to disable the event log or to exclude the files for the antivirus scanning due IT policies.

I increase the priority of eclipse process in the task manager, I would say that I have a little improvement but it's not enough, the compilation takes 8:50 minutes.

Do you have an other advice ?

Hi Ivan,

Funny ... I have just discovered, that you and I are working in the same company ("The world is a small town").
Here in Wangen, our IT has disabled anti-virus 'File check' on the start of 'make.exe' (the OPUS 'make').
At least this should be possible at your location too.

For further questions you can contact me by Sametime.

Best regards
Dirk
Re: Custom build [message #989838 is a reply to message #989658] Sat, 08 December 2012 08:04 Go to previous message
Paul Bußmann is currently offline Paul BußmannFriend
Is it really due to the Eclipse environment? I mean, how long does it take to issue build it using make without running eclipse?
Previous Topic:ARM DS-5 c/c++ project
Next Topic:How To Filter custom project type from the list of CDT project types.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 22 11:51:21 GMT 2024