Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » New Eclipse Install Deleted Workspace Projects
New Eclipse Install Deleted Workspace Projects [message #987155] Fri, 23 November 2012 21:38 Go to next message
kyran charlton is currently offline kyran charltonFriend
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.

Today I installed a new version of eclipse over my old one. I copied my workspace folder to a new folder in my documents in case it was overwritten and the install went fine. Then on startup when it asked for my workspace location I pointed it at the new directory (My Documents\Eclipse Workspace\ instead of My Documents\Eclipse\Workspace as it had been before) Eclipse gave me some errors and told me to check the log in my workspace folder. As I went there to check, I noticed there was only the metadata folder. Eclipse had deleted all my project folders. I went to check if the prior location of my workspace was there (in My Documents\eclipse\workspace) but that folder was gone as well.

Now I'm running recovery software and all the .class files I can't recover seem to have been overwritten the by new eclipse install... lovely.

My question is why would eclipse delete these folders from my workspace instead of just working around them? I moved them from the \eclipse\ path trying to avoid this problem and it still wiped them. Why wouldn't it back these files up? I'm assuming there's nothing I can do to recover these files?

Anyone posting to tell me I should have backed them up myself can bugger off unless they have access to a time machine or some sort of retroactive backup software.

Any guidance would be appreciated, I've run a few recovery programs so far (Pc inspector file recovery, Recuva) and I have about half of my source files back. Recuva's deep scan finds the missing classes but says they've been overwritten. Is there any hope for a deep recovery?

Any other required information, just ask. I'll attach a copy of the log file.
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 8.77KB, Downloaded 216 times)
Re: New Eclipse Install Deleted Workspace Projects [message #987186 is a reply to message #987155] Sat, 24 November 2012 10:18 Go to previous message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Am 24.11.12 01:12, schrieb kyran charlton:
> Not sure if this is the right place for this thread.
>
> Today I installed a new version of eclipse over my old one.

Never do that! Install it in an extra place!

Tom
Previous Topic:Problem with build actions
Next Topic: Failed to initialize Monitor Thread: Unable to establish loopback connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:35:35 GMT 2024