Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Multicore, multiple architecture support for SOC?
Multicore, multiple architecture support for SOC? [message #968342] Fri, 02 November 2012 11:41 Go to next message
JP Anon is currently offline JP AnonFriend
I'm new to Eclipse and I'm trying to figure out what Eclipse supports as far as debugging multi-architecture targets. We're interested in debugging a chip (initially a simulator) with a RISC processor along with some specialized processors. We'd like to be able debug these processors of differing architectures in one instance of Eclipse CDT. We're assuming we'd develop either a gdbserver or TCF-agents to support debugging the target.

What support do the CDT debuggers currently have for concurrent debugging of multi-processor/multi-architecture systems?

I noticed in the Visualizer View one of the use cases is "An asymmetric, SoC hardware platform." Is that currently supported?

Theres mention of support for "multi-context" on the EDC wiki page. What does multi-context refer to in EDC?
Re: Multicore, multiple architecture support for SOC? [message #968447 is a reply to message #968342] Fri, 02 November 2012 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Hi,

Eclipse CDT uses GDB for its debugging. GDB supports debugging multiple architectures with the same compiled GDB (but not the same running instance), you just have to compile it with the correct settings. After that, you can use multiple debug sessions in CDT (therefore multiple GDB instances) to connect to each target. The user can then control each target at the same time.

You will need a gdbserver or your own gdb-stub on each target.

As for the Visualizer, it displays the details of the currently active debug session. We have many hopes of making it much more powerful but we haven't quite gotten there yet Smile

Marc

P.S. EDC is not currently actively being developed anymore.
Re: Multicore, multiple architecture support for SOC? [message #968526 is a reply to message #968447] Fri, 02 November 2012 14:27 Go to previous message
JP Anon is currently offline JP AnonFriend
Thanks Marc.

I thought using multiple GDB instances would work fine - thanks for confirming that. That would be easy for us to do.

JP
Previous Topic:Indexer not seeing IPPROTO_IP from netinet/in.h
Next Topic:Formatter and command line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:36:33 GMT 2024