Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Spring 3.2 and OSGi(Real concern or rant ?)
Spring 3.2 and OSGi [message #957128] Thu, 25 October 2012 02:35 Go to next message
Jan Fetyko is currently offline Jan FetykoFriend
Dear Virgo/OSGi community,

I'm not trying to start a rant, but could very well turn out to be one.

I have one question:

Is this the beginning of the end of OSGi support in Spring ?
(taken from springsource site, springsource.org/springframework-ebr , I cannot include links yet)
Quote:

SPRING FRAMEWORK 3.2 AND THE SPRINGSOURCE EBR

Beginning with version 3.2, Spring Framework JAR files such as spring-core, spring-context, and spring-webmvc no longer contain MANIFEST.MF files with OSGi metadata. Likewise, builds are not automatically promoted to the SpringSource EBR.

To ensure that OSGi users are able to upgrade to Spring Framework 3.2, SpringSource will create and publish bundles for Spring Framework 3.2 GA to the EBR in a separate process shortly following the GA release. At least one 3.2 milestone or release candidate will also be published such that the community can validate the OSGi metadata prior to going GA.

Note that any future releases in the Spring Framework 3.1.x line will continue to contain OSGi metadata and will be published immediately to the EBR as per usual.

Interested users may want to place a watch on SPR-8903 to be notified of further updates, e.g. when Spring Framework 3.2 bundles are published to the EBR.

Thanks.

Jan

[Updated on: Thu, 25 October 2012 02:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spring 3.2 and OSGi [message #957339 is a reply to message #957128] Thu, 25 October 2012 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Yes and no. OSGi metadata -- in the form of bundlor manifest templates that guided the generation of OSGi manifests in Spring 3.1 and earlier -- was removed from the Spring 3.2 codebase as part of the build system revamp and move to gradle. So Spring framework builds won't include OSGi manifests in the JARs.

However, OSGi manifests will be added back in as Spring 3.2 bundles are published to the SpringSource Enterprise Bundle Repository (EBR). The idea is to put this in the control of those with a specific interest in OSGi and Spring rather than the core Spring team which doesn't really have any deep OSGi expertise.

SpringSource is well aware that the OSGi community need Spring in bundle form. Indeed Virgo, which SpringSource leads and which is used by commercial VMware products such as vSphere 5.1, depends on the existence of Spring bundles.

As we anticipate community-based alternatives to the EBR emerging, we expect Spring to feature in such alternative repositories where there is specific interest and expertise in the combination of OSGi and Spring.

We think this is an important step forward because the manifest templates for Spring 3.1 were starting to show their age and will need ongoing care and attention from the OSGi community.
Re: Spring 3.2 and OSGi [message #958477 is a reply to message #957339] Fri, 26 October 2012 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Fetyko is currently offline Jan FetykoFriend
Glyn,

thank you for your response, it helped me get my thoughts on ease.

Not that I love Spring with all my heart, but I'm currently married to it.

I wish Spring would dedicate more time to OSGi and switch from providing a library to providing OSGi services.
That is my biggest problem with Spring.

Thank you.

Jan
Re: Spring 3.2 and OSGi [message #968309 is a reply to message #958477] Fri, 02 November 2012 11:08 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Jan Fetyko wrote on Fri, 26 October 2012 03:17

I wish Spring would dedicate more time to OSGi and switch from providing a library to providing OSGi services.

That is my biggest problem with Spring.

I'm intrigued by what kind of services you'd like Spring (framework?) to provide. Are you able to write your own bundle to consume Spring xxx and publish the services you'd like or are you thinking more of a re-design of Spring xxx to suit OSGi?
Previous Topic:VIrgo 3.0.3 and DEBUG mode and Eclipse Helios
Next Topic:Package merge Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:35:04 GMT 2024