Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Remote debug of spring classes(How to attach source code to spring jars in repository/ext ?)
Remote debug of spring classes [message #949844] Fri, 19 October 2012 11:00 Go to next message
Erik Vande Velde is currently offline Erik Vande VeldeFriend
I'm porting an app from tomcat to virgo. It was based on maven, and in my maven repository I found the source files for the individual spring jar classes. Now, in Virgo, when I would like to see what's going on in spring it's unclear how to attach the source code (for example the one from my local maven repo) to the virgo spring classes. What's the best solution for this?
Re: Remote debug of spring classes [message #949882 is a reply to message #949844] Fri, 19 October 2012 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tin N/A is currently offline Tin N/AFriend
I can offer you my solution for debugging almost anything in Java - I use JSwat.
I think you'll need to unpack the sources, then right-click in JSwat's sources panel and add each of the unpacked source directories. After that, open the file where you want to start debugging, make a breakpoint and use Session -> Attach to attach to remote Virgo instance. And don't forget to run Virgo with remote debugging enabled.

Re: Remote debug of spring classes [message #968251 is a reply to message #949882] Fri, 02 November 2012 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Or it can be done in Eclipse. When you go into a stack frame in the debugger and are prompted for source, you simply define an external JAR and navigate to the source JAR. Have you tried that?
Re: Remote debug of spring classes [message #971902 is a reply to message #968251] Mon, 05 November 2012 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Vande Velde is currently offline Erik Vande VeldeFriend
Maybe it would be a good idea to include the spring source files in the virgo install (maybe also in the repository/ext directory?). Otherwise we will always have to download the individual bundle source code jars for all bundles of the spring library.
Re: Remote debug of spring classes [message #972037 is a reply to message #971902] Mon, 05 November 2012 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We wouldn't be able to get away with doing this just for Spring - essentially I think we'd have to provide a source download for each Virgo deliverable. But thanks for the feedback - it's certainly something for us to chew on.
Re: Remote debug of spring classes [message #972093 is a reply to message #972037] Mon, 05 November 2012 10:53 Go to previous message
I raised an enhancement bugzilla. I'm afraid I can't commit to when we will implement it though...
Previous Topic:Virgo 3.6.0.M03
Next Topic:Can I import and export services when I'm using Virgo Snaps?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:07:56 GMT 2024