Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DTP » Connecting to PostGIS, editing tables?
Connecting to PostGIS, editing tables? [message #945977] Mon, 15 October 2012 20:48
Ellen Badgley is currently offline Ellen BadgleyFriend
I have a somewhat thorny problem (perhaps not as thorny as it appears, but I'm new to DTP) that I would very much appreciate the community's help with. Basically: I need to A) be able to connect to a PostGIS DB, and B) edit non-geometry fields using the DTP Table Editor.

A) has been accomplished: I've seen the tutorial video for how to connect to a PostGIS DB through the DriverWrapper, and that works fine-- at least when it comes to accessing all of the base PostGreSQL functionality. I can View/Edit flat tables without geometry fields, without a problem.

B) is an issue because of the additional data types that PostGIS adds (from the OGC Simple Features for SQL specification). I get an exception when trying to View/Edit a table with a geometry column:

'Cannot edit table. An unknown or unsupported data type encountered for column [polygon].'

where the column in question has a 'geometry' data type.

Now, I've experimented with altering the DB definition XMI for PostGreSQL, to add the geometry type, and that worked. However, I'm wondering the best way to proceed from here. It would be possible to define a brand new DB Definition for PostGIS, separate from PostGreSQL, but I would prefer not to go that route unless it's unavoidable-- so, I have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to "build atop" the enablement of an existing DB? For example, is there some way to extend the PostGreSQL definition, without altering it or having to define a complete new DB definition, etc.?

2) More generally, has anyone any experience with PostGIS and DTP?

and, a related topic that I still need to investigate:

3) Is there a mechanism for making particular fields non-editable in the Table Editor, or hiding them altogether, depending on the data type?

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.
Previous Topic:Moving DataSource definitions from one workspace to another
Next Topic:BIRT Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:02:00 GMT 2024