Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together?(Juno, Ubuntu, OpenJDK 6 and Oracle JDK 6)
icon5.gif  OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together? [message #940581] Thu, 11 October 2012 19:34 Go to next message
Robert Lockwood is currently offline Robert LockwoodFriend
I have Juno running on Ubuntu 11.10; it uses OpenJDK and JRE version 6. I am thinking about installing STASH for version control for this and 4 other machines but STASH insists that only Oracle JDK 6 or 7 will work with it. I used apt-get install to install the openJDK and there were no path variables created.

Oracle JDK installs to a different folder and STASH requires path variables. Am I likely to have problems if I install a second JDK (Oracle).
Re: OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together? [message #940693 is a reply to message #940581] Thu, 11 October 2012 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
This is not the forum for STASH nor any of the other systems you mention.
Re: OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together? [message #950227 is a reply to message #940693] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Lockwood is currently offline Robert LockwoodFriend
Stephan, somehow I thought that Linux Eclipse users might program in Java and be familiar enough with Java installation have an answer for my base question "OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together?".

The question is now moot as I uninstalled Java and then installed Oracle JDK 7 but I'm still curious.

Re: OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together? [message #975834 is a reply to message #950227] Thu, 08 November 2012 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitesh Aegis is currently offline Mitesh AegisFriend
Hi,

Very well you was try but that not possible.

Thanks!
Re: OpenJDK and Oracle JDK can exist together? [message #979004 is a reply to message #975834] Sat, 10 November 2012 14:30 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Linux has no restrictions on the number of Java versions installed. Naturally, environment variables like PATH and JAVA_HOME have ot prioritize one install over all others.
Beyond that its a matter of each application how to cope with multiple Java installs.

Previous Topic:Executing inline refactoring programmatically
Next Topic:JPA: Juno wants to create Objects from Text
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 24 10:05:22 GMT 2024