Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » What is a Scout project?
What is a Scout project? [message #935806] Sun, 07 October 2012 10:38 Go to next message
Stathis Alexopoulos is currently offline Stathis AlexopoulosFriend
Hello,

I am trying to evaluate the Scout project and at a first glance i am impressed about the concept and i want to concragulate your job.

I was following you tutorials and due to my faults, i wanted many times to restart from scratch and therefore i needed to delete the failed projects. I could not find any information about how to do it and i decided to experiment by deleting all relevant Java plugin projects. It was succeeded, but now i have another question.

What is a Scout project? It is just a collection of 1 to 6 plugin projects with same name and certain prefixes e.g. xxxx.swt or there is also an other way to declare the involved projects?

As you could expected i tested the first assumption by creating individual projects with same naming and it did not worked.

Could you please give me a brief explanation of Scout project definition?
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936153 is a reply to message #935806] Sun, 07 October 2012 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas Huser is currently offline Lukas HuserFriend
Conceptually, a Scout project is a set of Eclipse plug-in projects which are wired together through bundle dependencies. To delete a Scout project you can simply delete all involved plug-in projects from your workspace.

The Scout SDK relies on the following principles to recognize and display the structure of a Scout project:

• Each plug-in project is marked to be of "Scout Nature" in its .project file. This is handled by the Scout SDK for you if you create a new Scout project. You can also add an existing plug-in project to a Scout project via the "Import Plugin..." menu in the Scout SDK. However, you then still need to handle the bundle dependencies and naming convention manually (see below).
  • Bundle dependencies: A plug-in project is represented as a client component (orange box) if it depends on the org.eclipse.scout.rt.client bundle. Similarly, a shared or server component depends on the corresponding Scout RT bundle. Also, both the client and server bundles should depend on the shared bundle.
  • Naming convention: A Scout project has a project name (e.g. my.project.name) and an optional project postfix (e.g. core). The plug-in projects then follow the naming pattern projectName.[client|shared|server].postfix. The full name of the client bundle then would be my.project.name.client.core.

I would recommend to use the Scout SDK to create the separate plug-in projects whenever possible, as e.g. setting up the correct bundle dependencies might get quite tricky. You can also let the SDK create some of the bundles at a later time if you did not create them upon project creation. If you started a project with the Swing UI and want to add support for SWT or RAP later on, you can create them using the "New Scout Bundles.." menu on an existing Scout project.
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936266 is a reply to message #936153] Sun, 07 October 2012 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Lucas,

Thank you very much for your description, it was very informative for me, and sure i am following your advice to use the Scout SDK to create my projects.

Maybe i missed it, but i did not found any description like this in EclipsePedia. In the case that there is no such description in Eclipsepedia, i would like to share with you the idea to create in Eclipsepedia apart of howtos and tutorials a section with tips where we could put such pieces of information.

Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936690 is a reply to message #936266] Mon, 08 October 2012 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Scout Wiki is a work in Progress. Do not hesitate to mention stuff that you missed.
Good questions in the forum are often added in the Wiki.

I could imagine we extend the page:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Concepts
=> New section "1.2 - Scout project".

In previous section ("1.1 - Plugin-Set") there is a description of the different eclipse plugins. All of this plugins (+ Scout nature +dependencies) constitute a Scout project (== what Lukas Huser explained here).
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936934 is a reply to message #936690] Mon, 08 October 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello again

Quote:
Scout Wiki is a work in Progress. Do not hesitate to mention stuff that you missed.

OK. I did it. Since it is my first contribution to Eclipsepedia, please take some time to review it.

Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936957 is a reply to message #936934] Mon, 08 October 2012 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still missing some pieces of information.

I originally started that topic because when i created a new Scout project, i got the following error

Error occured while running operation job.
this method is not supported on : PlatformTranslationFile readOnly=true

The Scout project was created but there were errors. At least in client plugin there was no Desktop.

After many tries, finally i made a reproducable senario.

1. Create a fresh new workspace
  2. Create Scout project xxx.first with "Online Tree and Table Form".
  3. Create Scout project xxx.second with "Online Tree and Table Form".
  4. Goto Package Explorer and delete all projects prefixed with xxx.first, and their contents on disk.
  5. Create Scout project xxx.third with "Online Tree and Table Form".
  6. Create Scout project xxx.first with "Online Tree and Table Form".

Comments
* The second creation of xxx.first will fail with the error mentioned above.
* This error will not appear, if in the creation of projects i had selected "An empty Application" instead.
* After the deletion of xxx.first, I searched for occurences of word "first" in my workspace but i found none.

Does anyone know why this happening? Of course the need to delete a project is very rare, but this error it seems to me as a sign that somewhere a piece of information about xxx.first was kept.
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #936995 is a reply to message #936934] Mon, 08 October 2012 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stathis Alexopoulos wrote on Mon, 08 October 2012 15:46
OK. I did it. Since it is my first contribution to Eclipsepedia, please take some time to review it.

See:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Concepts#Scout_Project

Seems good to me. Thanks a lot !!!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 October 2012 15:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is a Scout project? [message #937007 is a reply to message #936957] Mon, 08 October 2012 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stathis Alexopoulos wrote on Mon, 08 October 2012 16:18
Still missing some pieces of information.

I originally started that topic because when i created a new Scout project, i got the following error

Error occured while running operation job.
this method is not supported on : PlatformTranslationFile readOnly=true

It sounds like a bug to me. Feel free to open a new one:
* Product: Scout
* Component: Scout SDK

You can copy paste your description. Thanks for the time you have invested in the investigation. Having a "reproducable senario" is very valuable and important.

For other people who find this conversation, copy the URL of your new bug in this forum thread and the URL of the forum thread in the bug.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 October 2012 15:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What is a Scout project? [message #937237 is a reply to message #937007] Mon, 08 October 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you all for your cooperation, It was a pleasure to discuss with such cooperative community.

I filled a bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391373 as J.Br suggested.
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #937373 is a reply to message #937237] Mon, 08 October 2012 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukas Huser is currently offline Lukas HuserFriend
Stathis, thank you for filing the bug and also for the contribution to the Wiki!

I can also confirm and consistently reproduce this problem.
Steps to reproduce:
1) Start with a fresh empty workspace
2) Create a new Scout project (e.g. aaa.first) from template "Outline Tree and Table Form"
3) Create a new Scout project (e.g. bbb.second) from template "Outline Tree and Table Form"
4) Create a new Scout project (e.g. ccc.third) from template "Outline Tree and Table Form"
=> Project creation fails with an error message
5) Delete all plug-in projects which belong to Scout project ccc.third
6) Close and restart Eclipse
7) Create a new Scout project (e.g. ccc.third) from template "Outline Tree and Table Form"
=> This time the project is successfully created

It seems to me that the problem is not related to deletion and re-creation of a Scout project (with identical name), but that it is simply not possible to create three new Scout projects in a row.
A workaround seems to be to close and restart Eclipse after creation of two new Scout projects. It is then possible to create further Scout projects without error.

I hope this will help you to work-around this issue.
icon9.gif  Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1058708 is a reply to message #935806] Tue, 14 May 2013 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andriy Fomenko is currently offline Andriy FomenkoFriend
I do confirm that it is not connected with creating a project with the SAME NAME, but with creating of the THIRD PROJECT in a row.

Restarting Eclipse does indeed resolve the issue.

Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1058710 is a reply to message #1058708] Tue, 14 May 2013 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your feedback...

We didn't manage to fix the bug with Kepler (progress is tracked in bug Bug 391373). I hope we will be able to fix it with Luna.
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1061164 is a reply to message #1058710] Thu, 30 May 2013 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
I found and implemented a workaround for the kepler release. The workaround will then be removed as soon as the main bug (387958) is resolved.

The workaround can be tested using the Scout SDK 3.9.0 RC3 or newer.

regards,
matthias
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1062229 is a reply to message #1061164] Thu, 06 June 2013 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
And one more information: With Scout SDK >= 3.9.0 we removed the Scout nature in the .project file (as earlier explained by Lukas).
So if you are using Scout SDK 3.9.0 M7 or newer, you can remove the nature from the .project files and don't have to import the bundles anymore.

regards
matthias
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1193971 is a reply to message #935806] Mon, 18 November 2013 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Descher is currently offline Marco DescherFriend
Hy there,

I don't get it, I downloaded Eclipse Scout, and wanted to execute the tuorial on a fresh new installation and workspace, executing http://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Tutorial/3.9/HelloWorld ...

And the very first thing that popped up is a number of build errors and
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: this method is not supported on : PlatformTranslationFile readOnly=true

all fresh, all new on OS X, 10.8.5, Java 1.7.0_45

Appreciate any help Smile
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1193994 is a reply to message #935806] Mon, 18 November 2013 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here the full exception

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: this method is not supported on : PlatformTranslationFile readOnly=true
	at org.eclipse.scout.nls.sdk.model.workspace.translationResource.AbstractTranslationResource.updateText(AbstractTranslationResource.java:192)
	at org.eclipse.scout.nls.sdk.model.workspace.project.AbstractNlsProject.createNewRowInternal(AbstractNlsProject.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.scout.nls.sdk.model.workspace.project.AbstractNlsProject.updateRow(AbstractNlsProject.java:345)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.rap.operations.project.CreateMobileClientPluginOperation.run(CreateMobileClientPluginOperation.java:72)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.operation.project.ScoutProjectNewOperation.execOperations(ScoutProjectNewOperation.java:219)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.operation.project.ScoutProjectNewOperation.run(ScoutProjectNewOperation.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.jobs.OperationJob.run(OperationJob.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.jobs.AbstractWorkspaceBlockingJob.doRun(AbstractWorkspaceBlockingJob.java:61)
	at org.eclipse.scout.sdk.jobs.AbstractWorkspaceBlockingJob.run(AbstractWorkspaceBlockingJob.java:39)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
Re: What is a Scout project? [message #1194041 is a reply to message #1193994] Mon, 18 November 2013 09:59 Go to previous message
There error does not come up anymore, when doing a manual upgrade to Scout Milestone 3.10 Smile
Previous Topic:Slow startup of Swing Client
Next Topic:Switch Tabs programatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:16:35 GMT 2024