Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » Small Networking Model(Is it possible to create a model which includes small locations)
icon5.gif  Small Networking Model [message #935518] Sun, 07 October 2012 04:30 Go to next message
sanem ucan is currently offline sanem ucanFriend

Hi everybody!
I'm working on a research project for my masters and started to use STEM. As far as I understood from the tutorials, STEM uses nodes and edges and nodes reference to the regions. I want to simulate a disease scenario which has transmission from human to human. And I have the daily activity set of bunch of people, since the transmission rate will be changed after co-existing with an infectious person I need to use buildings. Is it possible to do it by using the existing models? OR do I need to create my own model?

Thanks
Re: Small Networking Model [message #937383 is a reply to message #935518] Mon, 08 October 2012 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Sanem,

interesting. First, if you want to create your own graph to represent your buildings and the connections between buildings, I suggest you take a look a the Pajek graph import function in STEM:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Importing_a_Pajek_Graph

Secondly, it sounds like your model of disease is different from anything we provide in STEM today. We have a new feature that makes it easier for developers to add new disease models to STEM. If you want to try and do that, we can send you some pointers to get you started.

Best Regards,
/ Stefan
Re: Small Networking Model [message #937501 is a reply to message #937383] Tue, 09 October 2012 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sanem ucan is currently offline sanem ucanFriend

Thank you Stefan.
I really want to use STEM if my model is doable by using Model Generator. Actually if it is doable by STEM! Because it seems I need to use the nodes to represent each individual and the edges for their communications, co-existing in the same location for a while. Each individual will have different infectious rate in different locations and will interact each other by traveling through the locations. Even if I succeed to generate my own network by using pajek, does this structure seem to be able to be generated by STEM model generator to you?
Sorry for complicated description of my thoughts Smile but what I need is exactly using the individuals as nodes and I'm not sure STEM model generator would allow me to do that.
In STEM, it looks like the graph is the geographical graph that represents the connection of different location.Will I be able to generate a human graph via pajek/stem interaction?
I also wonder that how the STEM simulate the disease transmission between humans? How does STEM simulation know the number of population in each nodes (locations)?

I know I have lots of questions but your answers will be really appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Sanem
Re: Small Networking Model [message #938225 is a reply to message #937501] Tue, 09 October 2012 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi,

I see. You're correct, nodes in STEM are physical locations, like a country, a state, a farm or a hospital. We attach data to the nodes (we call them labels) to store information such as the total population, the area or the state of a disease. We already have lots of data available in STEM for most countries of the planet.

We allow people migrating from one region to another using directed migration edges. The Pajek import function supports adding migration edges. Is this what you're trying to do?

Maybe you're trying to create more of a social network with connections between people? We haven't implemented such models in STEM (yet).

Hope this helps,
/ Stefan
Re: Small Networking Model [message #943376 is a reply to message #938225] Sun, 14 October 2012 12:20 Go to previous message
Matthias Filter is currently offline Matthias FilterFriend
Hi Sanem,

maybe the NetLogo software can provide the desired functionality:
http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
Best Regards,

Matthias
Previous Topic:Spillover
Next Topic:Automatic Experiment Example updated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:30:09 GMT 2024