Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Pull with EGit
Pull with EGit [message #915194] Sun, 16 September 2012 19:34 Go to next message
Jeremy Krentz is currently offline Jeremy KrentzFriend
Hi all,

I'm new to EGit so someone please correct me if I'm doing something incorrectly. I've been reading various forum posts saying that EGit has a bug that doesn't allow for easy use of the Pull function after creating a new repository. Is this correct?

Here are my steps:

1. After creating a new Java Project and adding a main class, I create a new repository (Right click on project name in eclipse --> Team --> Share Project --> Git --> Create Repository)

2. After committing locally, I'm able to push my project to a new repository on github.

However, now if I right click on my project in "git repositories view" and Pull, I receive the following error:

"The current branch is not configured for pull
No value for key branch.master.merge found in configuration"

After some searching, I read that the only way to fix this is by adding the following keys to /.git/config

[branch "master"]
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/master

Now I'm able to pull successfully.

My question is, is this normal? Does a person always have to modify the config file when creating a new repository? Is there a better way to do this?

When I 'clone' a repository, the keys are automatically added to the config file. It seems strange to me.

So currently the fastest way I've found to get things up and running has been to:
1. Push the project to github
2. Delete the local repository and associated project
3. Clone the repository from github

Now pulls works without issue.

If someone can explain if I should be doing something differently it would be very much appreciated.

Jeremy

Re: Pull with EGit [message #915222 is a reply to message #915194] Sun, 16 September 2012 21:27 Go to previous message
Jeremy Krentz is currently offline Jeremy KrentzFriend
I've since been informed that this can also be done another way:

In the Git Repository View, go to branches, Local -> master. Right click and go to Configure Branch, and then set the upstream branch as refs/heads/master

Is this the best way?
Previous Topic:create patch and gitignore
Next Topic:Error when trying to use existing git repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:43:14 GMT 2024