Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration
Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #907984] Tue, 04 September 2012 13:56 Go to next message
Thomas Kölling is currently offline Thomas KöllingFriend
Hey Guys,

i have a curious problem with my e4 tycho build here. A month ago, i've set up a tycho build for our e4 application, which works fine. After this month of developing the product inside eclipse, i've build the product with maven (tycho) again. The build was fine, but the runtime behavior is different.
The product itself has a main plugin with an Application.xmi and a Plugin, which contributes a second Window in a fragment.xmi to the Model at startup (like in Lars Vogel's excellent tutorial: http://www.vogella.com/articles/Eclipse4Modularity/article.html#contributefragments_model).
I've tried to compare the product file (which is relevant for tycho) with the Run Configuration Settings from the Eclipse IDE, without any success. In the Eclipse Build, the second window pops up, in the Tycho Build the EModelService does not find the Second Window. I've created for each Bundle an Activator, in both builds the Bundles start correctly.
Is there a Bundle which i potentially missed in the Tycho product file? (e.g. one which merges the EMF Modelfragment at startup) Or any other suggestions?

greetings Thomas
Re: Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #908370 is a reply to message #907984] Wed, 05 September 2012 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've checked now the bundles in both builds. Conclusion: on both builds are the same bundles with the same start level. I'm confused...
Here the comparison on a Google Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArRzdWFLV-fldEhxTDVFZ0JpTW13WjNucEd6aGRtRVE

Re: Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #908388 is a reply to message #908370] Wed, 05 September 2012 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
The first thing that comes to my mind is that maybe you have some same plugin modified in your workspace and also on the target platform and maybe Eclipse picks the one on the workspace and tycho the one in the target ignoring the one in the workspace.

Just a random thought though.
Re: Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #908394 is a reply to message #908388] Wed, 05 September 2012 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sopot Cela wrote on Wed, 05 September 2012 05:48
The first thing that comes to my mind is that maybe you have some same plugin modified in your workspace and also on the target platform and maybe Eclipse picks the one on the workspace and tycho the one in the target ignoring the one in the workspace.

Just a random thought though.

Hi Sopot,

To exclude this potential error, I use a dedicated and shared target platform. Tycho reads and use this target platform and eclipse use the same too. Except the "main" Plugins .. I should check the maven build settings..

[Updated on: Wed, 05 September 2012 10:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #908396 is a reply to message #908394] Wed, 05 September 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Have you tried using the Live model editor to explore what is happening with the model ? http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html section 5.7
Re: Tycho build has different runtime behavior as the Run Configuration [message #908401 is a reply to message #908396] Wed, 05 September 2012 10:14 Go to previous message
We need a big fat OMG Smiley here Very Happy

Your hint with that Workspace specific plugins brought me to the right track.

Every plugin has a so called "build.properties" File .. I've forgot to select the fragment.e4xmi File to the Binary Build. So, problem solved Smile

Thanks to the hint with that Live Editor, looks really useful.
Previous Topic:New RCP / Integration into legacy RCP / Which approach?
Next Topic:Check type menuitems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 19:50:32 GMT 2024