Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » IDE closes when accessing help
IDE closes when accessing help [message #901431] Sun, 12 August 2012 07:13 Go to next message
Bob NIcholson is currently offline Bob NIcholsonFriend
I've just installed a new version of EDT today. Every time I try to access Help, my IDE closes down.

When the IDE fails, I get the attached error. I'm not sure if this could be causing the problem. Unfortunately, I don't understand the error.

Thanks

Bob

[Updated on: Sun, 12 August 2012 15:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #901570 is a reply to message #901431] Mon, 13 August 2012 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Svihovec is currently offline Brian SvihovecFriend
Bob,

Can you post the version of EDT that you installed in this thread (Help->About->"EGL Icon"->"Version listed in the box at the bottom of the dialog".

Also, can you attach the contents of the .log file for the workspace? This file is located in <workspace>/.metadata/

-Brian

Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #901614 is a reply to message #901570] Mon, 13 August 2012 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replay.

I've attached to files with the information you've asked for.

Also, if it helps, I'm running on windows 7.
  • Attachment: IdeStartupError1.docx
    (Size: 78.94KB, Downloaded 303 times)
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 6.33KB, Downloaded 900 times)
Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #901642 is a reply to message #901614] Mon, 13 August 2012 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob,

I looked at the files you attached, but there do not appear to be any messages specifically related to a crash in the Help system. I also tried this on my own Windows 7 "All in One" installation using Help->Help Contents, and I am not seeing a crash.

Here are a few more questions for you:

1) What version of the installation are you using? (i.e. All in One, Update Site for a JEE Eclipse, etc)

2) Did you upgrade your installation from an older build, or is this a new installation?

3) How are you accessing the Help system? (i.e. Help->Help Contents, etc)

4) Are you able to recreate this consistently? I believe you said you are, but I wanted to confirm.

-Brian
Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #901644 is a reply to message #901642] Mon, 13 August 2012 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) What version of the installation are you using? (i.e. All in One, Update Site for a JEE Eclipse, etc) I believe this is the All in One. Eclipse and EGL all came down in one package. eglweb-081-win32-x86_64.zip

2) Did you upgrade your installation from an older build, or is this a new installation? This is all new.

3) How are you accessing the Help system? (i.e. Help->Help Contents, etc) Either Help Contents or search. Select either and it comes up for a couple of seconds and then everything ends.

4) Are you able to recreate this consistently? I believe you said you are, but I wanted to confirm. Yes, every time.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 August 2012 19:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #901814 is a reply to message #901644] Tue, 14 August 2012 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another note on this. Just out of curiosity, I downloaded and installed the 32 bit version to see if it worked and found that it does. So, it seems to be only the 64 bit version that has the problem.
Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #902091 is a reply to message #901814] Wed, 15 August 2012 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob,

What JRE are you using? You can find this under Help->About->Installation Details->Configuration. The java.vendor and java.version would be good to know.

I tried the 64 bit version of the .8.1 AIO build on Windows 7, and it does not crash when using an Oracle 1.6.0_31 JRE.

-Brian
Re: IDE closes when accessing help [message #902108 is a reply to message #902091] Wed, 15 August 2012 21:41 Go to previous message
Hopefully this is what you are looking for:
java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
java.class.path=C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\Eclipse\eglweb-081-win32-x86_64\eclipse\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
java.class.version=51.0
java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\endorsed
java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\ext;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\lib\ext
java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\
java.library.path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\PROGRA~2\IBM\CLIENT~1\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\Qt\Qt 4.3.3;C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Client Access\Emulator;C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Client Access\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Client Access\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SDP\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;.
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version=1.7.0-b147
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.specification.version=1.7
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.vendor.url=http://java.oracle.com/
java.vendor.url.bug=http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
java.version=1.7.0
java.vm.info=mixed mode
java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification