Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » remote git init failed?(Trying to synchronize project on remote server)
remote git init failed? [message #901102] Thu, 09 August 2012 19:39 Go to next message
Tim Stitt is currently offline Tim StittFriend
Hi all,

I'm new to Eclipse and was trying out a tutorial on the Parallel Tools Platform given at a recent supercomputing conference. I followed the tutorial to check out a project via CVS and then tried to synchronize it on a remote server.

When I try the synchronization step I get a "remote git init failed: sh: git: command not found" (see attachment). I know that git is not installed by default on our remote cluster, so I was wondering if there was a way around this (I doubt the administrators will change their default software stack to enable git). Can I change the synchronization method to something else e.g. svn?

Thanks in advance,

Tim.
Re: remote git init failed? [message #901209 is a reply to message #901102] Fri, 10 August 2012 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
As the name suggests, the Egit plugin is specifically for Git version control in Eclipse. It's not useful (*) if your team uses some other version control system. Given that your team is using CVS version control, you should be using the CVS Eclipse plugin that's comes as part of your Eclipse installation, not EGit.

(*) As a special case you can use Git as an SVN client. But EGit/JGit doesn't support these operations directly and I wouldn't recommend using it that way unless you're already very familiar with standard Git.

Re: remote git init failed? [message #901249 is a reply to message #901209] Fri, 10 August 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Stitt is currently offline Tim StittFriend
Thanks for the info. Any quick instructions on how to switch over to the CVS plugin?
Re: remote git init failed? [message #901277 is a reply to message #901249] Fri, 10 August 2012 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Maybe you did "Team > Share Project..." and selected "Git" there ?
Then click "Team > Disconnect" and then "Team > Share Project..." and then select "CVS"
Re: remote git init failed? [message #903449 is a reply to message #901277] Thu, 23 August 2012 16:43 Go to previous message
Antelmo Aguilar is currently offline Antelmo AguilarFriend
Hello everyone,

I am following up on the issue that Tim mentioned with our cluster. I tried the suggested approach, but it did not work. Also, it seems the the correct Team > Share Project setting was selected from the beginning. Does anyone else have anymore suggestions on how to do a remote synchronization succesfully since we do not have the git command? If anyone needs anymore information, fee free to ask. Also, I would like to add that the files we are trying to synchronize are not our own, they are from a tutorial located in the following site: http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/tutorials/XSEDE12. Also, as mentioned earlier, we are new to using eclipse so I apolgoize if what I mentioned is irrelevant.

Thank you,
Antelmo Aguilar

[Updated on: Thu, 23 August 2012 16:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:JGit Committing Into a specific branch
Next Topic:Not Able to switch from one branch to another
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:17:39 GMT 2024