Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Computer Algebra Language(request for advise on how to develop a mathematics program)
Computer Algebra Language [message #900118] Sat, 04 August 2012 08:09
Martin Mising name is currently offline Martin Mising nameFriend
Hi,

I am new to this forum and to Xtext (I'm impressed so far). I am getting a bit stuck, not on a specific technical issue, but more generally I would like some advise about the best way to take my application forward.

My application is an open source program which allows a computer algebra language to be edited and I would like to extend this so that it could compile or interpret the code. It is explained further here:
www.euclideanspace.com/prog/es/

The full code so far is here:
github.com/martinbaker/euclideanspace

At the moment the code edits an existing library of mathematics code from a program called Axiom (actually a fork of this called FriCAS) these files have the extension SPAD. I have therefore written a grammar to try to parse this existing file format, this is a very large code base of mathematical code and I would not want to attempt to rewrite this code library in a different language by hand. Most, but not all, these files now parse using my grammar. However this file format is very messy and not very precisely defined, so it is difficult to reverse engineer it.

I am therefore thinking of having a second language based on Xbase (I have already started on this called euclid in code above) which would be much more regular and easier to work with. Then I was thinking of having so model-to-model translation code to transfer between these two models. Do you think this would be a workable approach? If so, which model-to-model framework would work best with Xtext?

I would appreciate any ideas on the best way to take this forward.

Thanks,

Martin
Previous Topic:Using variables with predefined functions
Next Topic:'Duplicate Statement' error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:58:52 GMT 2024