Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage
Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #899238] Tue, 31 July 2012 08:08 Go to next message
Parani Raja is currently offline Parani RajaFriend
Hello,

We are evaluating Virgo for our production usage. As a technology stack, we are very much comfortable with Virgo and its features. However, following are the concerns before moving to production.

1. How reliable is the Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat
2. Is there any commercial support available to take care of the production issues
3. Any reference customer apart from the CME and Infor, where Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat is used in Production
4. Any benchmark on Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat used in production
5. As such OSGi solution is not completely taken by the enterprise customer, how Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat different from others

Please provide information on the above points, will be really helpful.

Thanks in Advance.
Parani
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #899389 is a reply to message #899238] Tue, 31 July 2012 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Virgo Server for Apache is the most stable varient of Virgo and several companies have been using it very happily in production. Some I can't mention but VMware is using it internally, which is why VMware staff work on Virgo including myself. Also, CME group are using it.

2. Springsource, a division of VMware would be happy to sell you commercial support for Virgo (but not the core Equinox runtime itself), Tomcat and/or Spring, please email either myself or Glyn (the project lead) and we will put you in touch with the right person.

3. OK, so you already know about our big two production users and I've already mentioned internal use by VMware. SAP are using it internally as well. Their are others but I can't talk about them, sorry.

4. This blog post gives some headline comparisons between the different variants of Virgo but we have not done any major benchmarking of it against other enterprise servers.

5. Virgo aims to be a simple and extensible Enterprise server with a focus on being lightweight and promoting OSGi as the programming model in compliance with enterprise specs from the OSGi alliance. Several of the Virgo committers are involved with relevant spec work at the OSGi alliance. Please read the front page of the website for a more detailed description.

I hope that either gives you more information or points you in the right direction. I really wish I could mention other companies using Virgo in production. Please feel free to come back with any other questions.

Chris.
(frostc at vmware.com)

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #899407 is a reply to message #899389] Tue, 31 July 2012 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Chris for the clarification.

One more question which I missed in my earlier post
Currently Virgo Server runs on Apache Tomcat and Jetty, is there any plans of moving the Virgo Kernel to JBoss or Weblogic to attract Enterprise customers.

Thanks in advance,
Parani
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #899581 is a reply to message #899407] Wed, 01 August 2012 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

Both JBoss and Weblogic support OSGi bundles on their runtimes but aren't built on OSGi. We believe Virgo is an Enterprise level application server but one that focuses on OSGi (and War files) only. This gives us the advantage of having a small footprint in terms of both size and runtime resources compared to traditional J2EE application servers.

I should also point out that Apache Tomcat/Jetty both run embedding inside Virgo, not the other way round. Virgo is the application server and Apache Tomcat/Jetty is the embedded servlet support. As such it wouldn't make much sense to embed Virgo in something like JBoss as their would be a lot of overlap in functionality.

Hope that clears things up a bit,
Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #900011 is a reply to message #899238] Fri, 03 August 2012 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tin N/A is currently offline Tin N/AFriend
If it helps, I can also share my production experience. We're running central identity and web session management for most of our company's web applications in Virgo Tomcat Server 3.0. This means it handles a database of >800k accounts in total and >60k unique users logging in daily, and provides near real-time responses (each request for any of our web applications' pages triggers a background request to Virgo) with absolutely no problems.
Considering all of this amounts to 100s (1000s in peak hours) of requests per second and that we had a similar system running on standalone Tomcat before with similar results, I would say you're pretty safe assuming that Virgo Tomcat performance and stability equals that of the stock Tomcat, which should be enough of an assurance.

I must admit I was a bit nervous about both performance and stability, as Virgo does wrap Tomcat into an additional layer of OSGi-induced complexity, but it turned out to be unnecessary. The only incident, after 4 months of uptime for the Virgo process, was actually caused by a system problem (that dreaded leap second addition on July 1st that triggered a bug in Linux kernel/libc and disabled the JVM), and since that was fixed, again, it's running smoothly as before.

So, from the aspect of performance/stability, for me this battle-proves it beyond any doubt.
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #900033 is a reply to message #900011] Fri, 03 August 2012 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Chris, Tin

This information is really helpful.

Tin, did you get any commercial support from VmWare or any other vendor for your implementation.

Thanks in Advance,
Parani
Re: Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat - Production Usage [message #900045 is a reply to message #899238] Fri, 03 August 2012 15:37 Go to previous message
Tin N/A is currently offline Tin N/AFriend

No, there was no need in our case so we didn't look into it. But, we do have local VMWare support contracts for our ESX clusters and judging from that experience, and how helpful Glyn and Chris are with the community, my feeling is you should be safe with contracting that company for support. Maybe this sounds like a commercial endorsement, but this really is strictly from my experience so far - I have no association with VMWare other than using their products.
Previous Topic:Missing artifact org.eclipse.virgo.mirrored:org.eclipse.osgi:jar:3.8.0.v20120508-2119
Next Topic:Bean factory post processors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:20:15 GMT 2024