Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Productive Use and Schema Evolution
[CDO] Productive Use and Schema Evolution [message #899173] Mon, 30 July 2012 20:42 Go to next message
Tex Iano is currently offline Tex IanoFriend
Messages: 99
Registered: February 2012
Member
Hi,

I want to extend my application with collaboration capabilities. For that purpose, I am thinking about migrating from XMI files to CDO/Teneo.

Is CDO already applicable for productive use or is it still a development version?

And what I think what is very important: How do you handle the evolution of the database schema? For example I have several models stored and EMF gets updated to a newer version. Is the schema changed too?

Regards,

Tex

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2012 20:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Teneo] Productive Use and Schema Evolution [message #899180 is a reply to message #899173] Mon, 30 July 2012 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 6501
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 30.07.12 22:42, schrieb Tex Iano:
> Hi,
>
> I want to extend my application with collaboration capabilities. For
> that purpose, I am thinking about migrating from XMI files to Teneo.
> Is Teneo already applicable for productive use or is it still a
> development version?
>

Yes. Teneo is stable and we are using it in a number of RCP projects
very successfully!

> And what I think what is very important: How do you handle the evolution
> of the database schema? For example I have several models stored and EMF
> gets updated to a newer version. Is the schema changed too?
> Regards,
>

Well DB-Schema-Evolution is not a simple thing. Hibernate has some
schema evolution but we are doing the schema evolution by hand.

Our process is like this:
a) Generate the hbm.xml from the ecore
b) Generate the DDL from the hbm.xml using Hibernate
c) Store the DDL in the VCS
d) Update the .ecore
e) => back to step a)
f) Diff the change in the DDL and write an alter script by hand

Tom
Re: [Teneo] Productive Use and Schema Evolution [message #899245 is a reply to message #899180] Tue, 31 July 2012 08:25 Go to previous message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Messages: 5468
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Tex,
Yes indeed Teneo is quite stable, a new version of EMF normally does not change the database schema. If I find a really
breaking issue in Teneo which results in a difference in db schema generation (to solve this issue) then I provide an
option for backward compatibility support.

As Tom describes, if you have extensive changes in your model then the Hibernate is not capable of updating the db
schema correctly. New tables and columns are normally handled automatically by hibernate, deleting columns/tables is not
possible (but most of the time less relevant when updating models).

gr. Martin

On 07/30/2012 11:22 PM, Tom Schindl wrote:
> Am 30.07.12 22:42, schrieb Tex Iano:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to extend my application with collaboration capabilities. For
>> that purpose, I am thinking about migrating from XMI files to Teneo.
>> Is Teneo already applicable for productive use or is it still a
>> development version?
>>
>
> Yes. Teneo is stable and we are using it in a number of RCP projects
> very successfully!
>
>> And what I think what is very important: How do you handle the evolution
>> of the database schema? For example I have several models stored and EMF
>> gets updated to a newer version. Is the schema changed too?
>> Regards,
>>
>
> Well DB-Schema-Evolution is not a simple thing. Hibernate has some
> schema evolution but we are doing the schema evolution by hand.
>
> Our process is like this:
> a) Generate the hbm.xml from the ecore
> b) Generate the DDL from the hbm.xml using Hibernate
> c) Store the DDL in the VCS
> d) Update the .ecore
> e) => back to step a)
> f) Diff the change in the DDL and write an alter script by hand
>
> Tom
>


--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Previous Topic:[CDO] Usage of property 'supportingAudits' in server config
Next Topic:How to impact the notification refresh value
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Aug 21 16:26:30 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02140 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top