Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Plugin installation with p2 fails with strange/non-existant conflicts
Plugin installation with p2 fails with strange/non-existant conflicts [message #119673] Thu, 16 October 2008 17:10
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: creckord.uni-kassel.de

Hi there,

I have a strange problem here.

I'm trying to install Q4E from q4e.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/updatesite-dev, which fails for the dependency viewer feature due to the
following conflict:

> Cannot find a solution satisfying the following requirements Match[requiredCapability:
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.apache.commons.lang/[2.1.0.v20 0803061811,2.1.0.v200803061811]].

Now, the org.apache.commons.lang plugin in version 2.1.0 comes with the main Q4E feature (which installs just fine). This plugin in version
2.3.0 is already installed as part of another feature (org.eclipse.mylyn 3.0.2). However, the other plugins in Q4E require a version range
of [2.1.0,3.0.0) for org.apache.commons.lang as do the Mylyn plugins with a range of [2.3.0,3.0.0). So, theoretically everyone should be
happy with the newer 2.3.0 version. However, p2 adamantly refuses to install Q4E due to above mentioned conflict.

Given the actual bundle requirements of the involved plugis, this is clearly wrong. And after manually downloading the Q4E feature and
installing it as a dropin, it worked fine and p2 was perfectly happy with it, too.

Investigating further, the only place I could find this incriminated version string as an actual dependency of sorts was in the content.xml
on the Q4E update site, which has:

<unit id='org.devzuz.q.feature.feature.group' version='0.8.0.200808231203' singleton='false'>
<required namespace='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu' name='org.apache.commons.lang' range='[2.1.0.v200803061811,2.1.0.v200803061811]'/>
</unit>

I guess in this case that <required> clause is supposed to mean that this feature should be delivered with this plugin in this version.

So, is this a bug in p2? Or is this a problem with a wrongly generated content.xml - in which case it seems to be a PDE bug, because that's
exactly the way it is generated when I build a site project from a feature.

Regards,
Carsten Reckord
Previous Topic:deploymentadmin service
Next Topic:Manage the updatesites
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:30:14 GMT 2024