Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » PDE build clarification
PDE build clarification [message #897205] Mon, 23 July 2012 07:39 Go to next message
Jan Krakora is currently offline Jan KrakoraFriend
Hi,

could someone explain me what the PDE does use for building an Eclipse plugin? Is it only the build.properties or also the .classpath file?

When building a RCP application, the PDE uses the product definition and from it it's capable of generating the config.ini, plugins a and features folders and the native launcher. Is that correct?

Thanks
Re: PDE build clarification [message #897623 is a reply to message #897205] Tue, 24 July 2012 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
When running PDE Build from the command line I don't think it uses the .classpath file at all. When exporting from the UI (Export plug-ins, features or products) I think PDE UI collects some of the necessary dependency information from the PDE state/models. While we use the classpath to store some of that information (specifically plug-in dependencies), I doubt the actual classpath file is referenced.

If you add jar libraries to the classpath, they will not be picked up be PDE/OSGi so they will not be available after exporting or launching.

When you export from the UI, we set up a PDE Build execution that builds all of the necessary plug-ins and features and copies them into the final destination. For product builds the config.ini is generated (or copied) and the native launcher is copied. Because the native launcher is copied you can only export for your current OS/Architecture. To make this work for other OS/Arch you need the Delta pack.
Re: PDE build clarification [message #897696 is a reply to message #897623] Wed, 25 July 2012 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sabir pasha is currently offline Sabir pashaFriend
PDE build uses build.properties anything which is not on build.properties is ignored.
Re: PDE build clarification [message #898346 is a reply to message #897696] Thu, 26 July 2012 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what is then the .classpath file in a plugin project for?
Re: PDE build clarification [message #898604 is a reply to message #898346] Thu, 26 July 2012 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
The .classpath file is used for the JDT build path. PDE is built on top of JDT so it handles building the java code. The runtime (launching) is handled by OSGi/Equinox, so PDE assists you in setting up OSGi/Equinox plug-ins.
Re: PDE build clarification [message #898710 is a reply to message #898604] Fri, 27 July 2012 09:45 Go to previous message
I'm still stepping in the dark.

When developing plugins, PDE updates .class files so the JDT can compile to class files and also I can leverage from content assist etc?

When building plugins, PDE uses solely build.properties?
Previous Topic:How to get Project info. based on tree node expanded(not necessarliy selected) ?
Next Topic:Import Java project into Eclipse using Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:14:08 GMT 2024